Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Literature (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What Are You Reading? (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=517)

TheKorovaMilkbar 11-07-2005 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xnguela
Chuck Palahniuk's among my favorite authors!

...Wow, you just keep getting better in my book. + Major Brownie Points

BeautifullyDemented 11-08-2005 02:53 PM

Just finished today 'The Eye of the World', and I'm starting 'The Great Hunt', both by Robert Jordan (*cough* I'm a fantasy geek...), the second book in the Darksword trillogy's (Don't know if I spelled that right, too tired to care), and 'Vampire' by Manuela Dunn Mascetti. Oh! And Interview with the Vampire, I think. If I can find the book again... Hm.

ThwanCondu 11-08-2005 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xnguela
That sounds really cool! How'd you find it?

Well, you know how there are a bazillion different editions of Dracula? I like looking at alternate covers of books, and I was in a used book store and happened to be in the horror section. I was looking at the Dracula covers and one was entitled 'Dracula's Guest' and it caught my attention. I think I peed.

Juliet Bathory 11-11-2005 05:13 PM

"Dracula's guest is a self-contained chapter that was originally part of Stoker's manuscript for Dracula but was omitted because of the length of the published book." (The giant book of vampires, edited by Stephen Jones, 1994, Magpie Books)

Currently reading ~ Wit'ch Storm, Book 2 in the Wit'ch War saga, James Clements
~ Love in Vein, Poppy Z. Brite
~ When we die, Cedris Mims
~ The annoted HP Lovecraft, S.T. Joshi
~ Seven tales of sex and death, Patricia Duncker

flawed-mentality 11-11-2005 06:44 PM

Greetings and salutations,right now i'm reading several differnt books.I am reading a dook about Dante the poet-philosipher.I am also reading dreams your magic mirror,and I plan on reding more on philoophy.

Juliet Bathory 11-11-2005 07:11 PM

~ When we die, Cedris Mims

It should read - ~ When we die, Cedric Mims

Sorry!

snapdragon 11-12-2005 11:29 PM

Far From Xanadu - Julie Anne Peters (just finished it, very spiffy book.)
La Chica Que Amaba a Tom Gordon - Stephen King (well..im attempting to read it.)

winged_dreams 11-14-2005 12:03 AM

Starless Night. It's a Forgotten Realms book. I be such a nerd.

Phayte 11-14-2005 12:25 AM

I'm reading the Sword of Truth series. Just finished Chainfire.. now I guess I have to wait another year or two for the next one.
Richard.. *Drools*

secretboy 11-14-2005 06:55 PM

A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin.

Series is damned literary crack, I tell ya.

Una 11-17-2005 04:34 PM

The Red Badge of Courage, then I think Hamlet. My english class is going to Boston in the spring to see the play, it should be fun.

anti 11-19-2005 10:42 PM

On Intelligence by Jeff Hawkins
Dynamic Figure Drawing by Burne Hogarth
Pressure Point Fighting by Rick Clark
Romeo and Juliet by your mom

Yeah... I'm always reading at least four books at once.

mortalitas incomitatus 11-19-2005 10:49 PM

a computer screen!

*SMART ASS!!!

psychopixi 11-20-2005 07:15 AM

Robert Rankin: Web Site Story

and

Terry Pratchett, Ian Stewart & Jack Cohen: The Science of Discworld II, The Globe

ohthefuckwell 11-23-2005 08:45 PM

currently steve martin's pure drivel. yeah, it's only 104 pages, but i only pick it up every now & then and read a chapter. and even at only 104 pages, it's chock full of wit & dripping with satire. so far, my favorite chapters are "dear amanda" and "taping my friends".

a couple of weeks ago, my daughter brought home neil gaiman's coraline. i read through it just to check it out because she seemed to really enjoy it.

quite a good little read.

i was also pretty jazzed to see it's going to be a movie, albeit an animated one.... in 2007.

rockandrose 11-23-2005 10:50 PM

Does anyone know Oscar Wilde or read any of his plays/poetry?

MizSuccubus 11-23-2005 11:41 PM

Suffer the Opposition

http://www.suffertheopposition.com

rockandrose 11-23-2005 11:52 PM

MizSuccubus, before posting any further, can you please direct yourself to this link:

https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=710

a damn bitch in hell 11-24-2005 03:07 AM

I am currently reading,Death Abides by its Own Rules,405 pages long i read everyday afterschool.

Sierpeman 11-24-2005 05:31 PM

Neil Simon's Collected Works Volume II

...by Neil Simon

Auriane 11-26-2005 06:00 AM

I always read many books at the same time.

Will Kymlicka - An introduction to contemporary political philosophy
Hume - A treatise of Human Nature
Rudi Visker - (A book about multiculturalism in Dutch)
Friedrich Nietzsche - Twilight of the gods
Karl Verstrynge - The hysterics of the mind - Melancholy in the pseudonym works of Kierkegaard (in Dutch)
The complete works of Oscar Wilde
Clamp - Lawful drug
Freud - Introduction to psychoanalysis
Stephen King - The Dark Tower series
Alexandra Stoddard - Living a Beautiful Life: 500 Ways to Add Elegance Order Beauty and Joy to Every Day of Your Life

Gnossos 11-26-2005 05:37 PM

I read four or five books a week... love my public library. I've run out of shelf space in the house, so I check out a bunch of books every time I go downtown; even with the inevitable duds, I always have something to read.

Lately, I've read *Haunted*, by Chuck Palahniuk. I've read all of his books, and they always make me feel supremely uncomfortable whilst reading them- in a good way. He makes most of the splatterpunk genre seem about as innocuous as Nancy Drew.

I just finished *Pocketful of Names*, by Joe Coomer. A good story, and at one point it made me cry, although I always get all weepy at the holidays.

Also, *Oh, The Glory Of It All*, by Sean Wilsey, is an interesting memoir. The author's capacity for forgiveness astounded me. I know I was lucky, but it made me appreciate my parents even more. RIP, Reverend Doctor Momzilla and (the original) Silent Bob. Many thanks.