Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Literature (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What Are You Reading? (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=517)

mfiend1138 11-05-2007 10:10 AM

The Sandman Vol. 9: The Kindly Ones by Neil Gaiman (Author), Marc Hempel (Author), Frank McConnell (Introduction), Neil Gaiman (Author), Frank McConnell (Author)

-R.

zeronegativeplus 11-05-2007 11:12 AM

book

"The God Of The Witches" by Margaret Alice Murray

xCuriosity_Killed_Herx 11-05-2007 05:22 PM

In between being seduced by Ramses the Great, I'm reading 'The Oxford Book of Gothic Tales'...its a sampling of gothic short stories ranging from the eighteenth century to today.

BLEED REBELION!!! 11-05-2007 06:25 PM

I reading Carolyn Ainscough and Kay Toon.
Its called "Surviving childhood sexual Abuse"...........................

zeronegativeplus 11-07-2007 07:31 PM

The Golden Bough: A Study in Magic and Religion is a wide-ranging comparative study of mythology and religion, written by Scottish anthropologist Sir James George Frazer (1854–1941). It was first published in two volumes in 1890; the third edition, published 1906–15, comprised twelve volumes. It was aimed at a broad literate audience raised on tales as told in such publications as Thomas Bulfinch's Age of Fable. It offered a modernist approach to discussing religion, treating it dispassionately as a cultural phenomenon rather than from a theological perspective. Although the worth of its contribution to anthropology will be newly evaluated by each generation, its impact on contemporary European literature was substantial.

PersephoneX 11-08-2007 05:43 AM

Am reading someone else's diary. Should i feel guilty? This person did it to me...

DeathChii 11-08-2007 06:00 AM

"Heavier than heaven"
Amazing
I <3 Kurt Cobain

Mrs_Valo 11-08-2007 11:59 AM

a Lovecraft story about a fish god or something. cracks me up! lol

Edward Strange 11-08-2007 12:16 PM

Sounds like Dagon to me.
I tried to use it as a 'spooky' story one rainy night when I was in Norway... But I couldn't remember half of it.
And the ladies I was with didn't speak enough english to 'get it'.
Oh well.

silverbaal 11-08-2007 01:03 PM

I just started Crime and Punishment. I have three more chapters to go in the first book. It's very good and easy to relate to.
I'm also reading Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone. A little late for that one, I know. I had been given those as a birthday present, twice(the first book), when it came out, but mom had all of these convictions that it was the devil's book and I was too young to really contest her decision not to let me read them. So now i'm reading the series. It's so much fun:).
Also, I am in the middle of 1984. A very scary book. It's accurate to the tee.

nosunshine 11-08-2007 01:08 PM

your retarted post

Crying_Crimson_Tears 11-08-2007 03:28 PM

I just got done reading "Eclipse" by Stephenie Meyer. It's part of a trilogy. And I loved it!!!!

d.Nox 11-08-2007 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeronegativeplus
The Golden Bough: A Study in Magic and Religion is a wide-ranging comparative study of mythology and religion, written by Scottish anthropologist Sir James George Frazer (1854–1941). It was first published in two volumes in 1890; the third edition, published 1906–15, comprised twelve volumes. It was aimed at a broad literate audience raised on tales as told in such publications as Thomas Bulfinch's Age of Fable. It offered a modernist approach to discussing religion, treating it dispassionately as a cultural phenomenon rather than from a theological perspective. Although the worth of its contribution to anthropology will be newly evaluated by each generation, its impact on contemporary European literature was substantial.

I've been working my way (very slowly) through this as well--the two volume edition; I think the full thing would kill me.

His insights into religion aren't great, but some of the lore and stories he's collected to prove his points are priceless.

mfiend1138 11-08-2007 09:34 PM

"House of Leaves", by Mark Z. Danielewski

-R.

Godslayer Jillian 11-08-2007 09:39 PM

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad, but actually I just finished it, so I'm about to read One Floe Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey.

Corpsey 11-08-2007 10:33 PM

Is it the same as the movie? I thoroughly enjoyed that movie, even with it's poor 70's acting.

Currently reading the Dune Prequel series, The Machine Crusade. Not as good as I hoped it would be but enough to keep my interest at four in the morning.

HeWhoMustNotBeNamed 11-08-2007 11:20 PM

Right now reading Emperor: Time's Tapestry book one. A little werid but a good read for anyone interested in the Roman Empire.

Just finished Hood, a whole new spin on the Robin Hood tale. And next i'll be reading I, Lucifer, by Glen Duncan for what must be the fiftith time.

Godslayer Jillian 11-08-2007 11:21 PM

Never seen the movie; I'll see it after reading the book.
I do know that the movie is one of the top ten movies ever.

Corpsey 11-08-2007 11:31 PM

Indeed, it started quite a few actors in the acting world. Danny Divito, Christopher Loyd, Jack Nicholson etc etc. The person who plays the role of the nurse was in The Exorcist II but that's hardly worthy of mention.

HeWhoMustNotBeNamed 11-08-2007 11:50 PM

Quick question, do you know which came first, the movie or the book, because sometimes they'll base a film on a book and at other times they write the book later to cash in on the success of the film?

d.Nox 11-09-2007 01:29 PM

The book came first, by a decade or two. Ken Kesey went on to become one of the leaders of the hippie movement; you can find his story in "The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test," by Tom Wolfe--also an interesting read.

I'm working on the Abbe de Montfaucon de Villars' "Comte de Gabalis," a 17th-century occult dialogue in the best Hermetic tradition. It comes with a thoroughly Theosophical commentary by the anonymous, early-20th-century translators.

HeWhoMustNotBeNamed 11-09-2007 06:08 PM

Thanks d.Nox.

††BlackRose†† 11-13-2007 02:54 PM

The Inferno by Dante Alighieri (of course the translated version :P)

I found it in the library at the non-fiction section strangely enough. I was looking for some of Edgar Allan Poe's works and I saw this. They didn't have any books by Poe in the non-fiction section and students aren't allowed in the fiction section during school hours, the bastards.

††BlackRose†† 11-13-2007 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeWhoMustNotBeNamed
Right now reading Emperor: Time's Tapestry book one. A little werid but a good read for anyone interested in the Roman Empire.

Just finished Hood, a whole new spin on the Robin Hood tale. And next i'll be reading I, Lucifer, by Glen Duncan for what must be the fiftith time.

I will check that book out then. The Roman Empire is actually interesting.

GothicChristian 11-13-2007 05:10 PM

Wolfcry by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes