Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   TV, Movies, & Games (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Dark shadows anyone? (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=26094)

Fruitbat 03-15-2012 09:02 PM

Dark shadows anyone?

Looks hiliarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isjg9O7ifwM

The Divine Ms. M 03-16-2012 06:31 PM

I'm eagerly awaiting it!

Murder.Of.Crows 03-16-2012 09:27 PM

looks awesome. So Tim Burton is directing/producing 3 movies this year?

Valhalla 03-17-2012 07:33 PM

I watched the revival series of the Dark Shadows tv show. I liked it enough to really want to see this movie based on premise. Once I saw the trailer I realized it was taking a very different approach from the show, but it looks like a lot of fun anyway.

Storm 03-18-2012 02:34 AM

I'm currently watching the show and eagerly awaiting the movie. It really does look hilarious, hehe.

Fruitbat 03-18-2012 07:27 PM

It's got Johnny Depp in it... I'm the first one in the box office queue. I love his quirky characters and the fact that he is freakin' hot helps a lot too :-D

MOC - hadn't heard that. Will be interesting to see what his other movies are like.

Saya 03-18-2012 07:51 PM

I really really don't know about this. Haven't seen the original show though so I don't know what to criticize.

Murder.Of.Crows 03-19-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruitbat (Post 691574)
MOC - hadn't heard that. Will be interesting to see what his other movies are like.

He's got Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, this movie, and a remake of his Frankenweenie short.

Valhalla 03-19-2012 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saya (Post 691576)
I really really don't know about this. Haven't seen the original show though so I don't know what to criticize.

A criticism is that all the characters seem to have completely different personalities. But I suppose if it was exactly the same as the show there would be little point in me going to see it.

Kind of like the Fright Night remake. New characters with the same name, and the movie was based on the same idea, however it was a brand new movie.

Saya 03-19-2012 05:41 PM

its more that it looks really super cheesy that turns me off from it, but then it was based on a soap opera so I'm guessing that has something to do with it?

Fruitbat 03-20-2012 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murder.Of.Crows (Post 691610)
He's got Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, this movie, and a remake of his Frankenweenie short.

Sounds interesting... Will have to keep my eyes open for them.

I don't care if the movie is cheesy - If I can sit still through a movie for an hour or two - well then it's a good movie.

VeraVoodoo 04-06-2012 02:31 PM

Yes! I'm so very excited for it!!!

TGK13 04-24-2012 11:15 PM

Part of me thinks Tim Burton is overrated, but the other part of me looooves the whimsy. I was thoroughly impressed with his version of Alice.

Midnight Laces 04-26-2012 07:29 PM

Ever since I saw the black umbrella in the trailer, I've been more and more excited for this movie.

Ben Lahnger 04-27-2012 09:44 AM

I AM DISAPPOINT!

Hey, I like Tim Burton's vision in general and Johnny Depp's deft ability to fully realise quirky characters. And the trailer is definitely very funny. But, with the exception of borrowing names like Barnabas Collins, it has.nothing in common with the source material. The classic daytime soap opera (and two theatrical spin-off movies) were straight Gothic horror. This looks like it should be called."Tim Burton's big jokesy vampire spoof."

For people who are fans of the original and had hopes of a serious theatrical remake, this is the kiss of death. If it does well, all future Dark Shadows films will have to be comedies because studios will say that's what worked. And if it fails, well, that's what studios will point to when a remake project is proposed.

I have the.same problem with this as I had with The Green Hornet being rebooted as a farce.

They just should have called it something else. Dangit!

Midnight Laces 04-27-2012 10:33 PM

Have you actually seen it?

Ben Lahnger 04-28-2012 08:01 AM

Dark Shadows? Yes. It was classic Gothic horror, crossed with the kind of drawn out relationship drama popular in other soap operas. It was NOT, in any way, a comedy.

The trailer for the new Tim Burton comedy that is titled Dark Shadows? Yes. It looks funny, and will probably be a hoot to watch, but it is NOT Dark Shadows.

Did you read and comprehend my post?

Fruitbat 04-29-2012 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger (Post 693641)
I AM DISAPPOINT!

Hey, I like Tim Burton's vision in general and Johnny Depp's deft ability to fully realise quirky characters. And the trailer is definitely very funny. But, with the exception of borrowing names like Barnabas Collins, it has.nothing in common with the source material. The classic daytime soap opera (and two theatrical spin-off movies) were straight Gothic horror. This looks like it should be called."Tim Burton's big jokesy vampire spoof."

For people who are fans of the original and had hopes of a serious theatrical remake, this is the kiss of death. If it does well, all future Dark Shadows films will have to be comedies because studios will say that's what worked. And if it fails, well, that's what studios will point to when a remake project is proposed.

I have the.same problem with this as I had with The Green Hornet being rebooted as a farce.

They just should have called it something else. Dangit!

Ah, see I knew nothing of the original series, but now you've mentioned what it was like then I totally agree with you Ben. I hate it when they make a remake of something and take away the original concept and make it into something else.

Maybe they had to call it dark shadows because of copyright infringements perhaps?

But that really sucks.

AresInFurs 05-01-2012 02:07 PM

Another unentitled remake.

Don't fix it if its not broken. And especially don't make it into a different entity entirely.

Blah ... trailers look awful.

TGK13 05-01-2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruitbat (Post 693788)
Ah, see I knew nothing of the original series, but now you've mentioned what it was like then I totally agree with you Ben. I hate it when they make a remake of something and take away the original concept and make it into something else.

Maybe they had to call it dark shadows because of copyright infringements perhaps?

But that really sucks.

I was unaware there was an original. I will have to look into this! Makes me excited to know that.

Tim Burton really does fail at "remakes". (Alice excluded. It was more a take on 'Through the Looking-glass' than anything else.)

Saya 05-01-2012 09:39 PM

I actually liked Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but I'm one of those who read the book first, and his is a more loyal adaptation.

TGK13 05-01-2012 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saya (Post 693936)
I actually liked Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but I'm one of those who read the book first, and his is a more loyal adaptation.

But there were awkward "current" references. I just couldn't enjoy it like I wanted to.

shadowynne 05-05-2012 01:13 AM

hey i just picked up a dark shadows revival dvd box set for 2 whole english pounds!

huzzah!

now if i can just watch a scene with barnabas without humming the chariots of fire theme....

satanicangel66689 05-10-2012 08:54 PM

Going to see it tomorrow :D Can't wait. ^^

Haejin 05-13-2012 04:11 PM

I never watched the original show, but I really liked the movie. The whole 60's/70's feel was super fun and cultish. I also saw the preview for that zombie abe lincoln movie, and it looks interesting. Don't know if I'll love it though.