Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Literature (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What Are You Reading? (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=517)

Wylder 09-16-2005 01:20 AM

romance of the three kingdoms

winged_dreams 09-16-2005 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edible_eye
the bone collector by jeffrey deavers.

the book kicks ass over the movie.

Oh. I have that book. It's one of the dozens of books that I need to read.

soggypicklemuncher 09-16-2005 10:45 PM

The Panda's Thumb by Stephen Jay Gould. I picked it up a couple months ago and then lent it to my dad after reading a few chapters so I just recently snatched it back. Also Angel of Light by Joyce Carol Oates and I sort of started Moby Dick, found it pretty interesting, but put it down for a long time after the first 80 or so pages.

soggypicklemuncher 09-16-2005 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snapdragon
the Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas
American Gothic Tales
Things Fall Apart - Chinua Achebe (for school)
Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand

Don't let Ayn Rand brainwash you. She can turn you into a complete asshole if you buy into her propaganda.

soggypicklemuncher 09-16-2005 10:47 PM

I mean the stuff about completely laissez-faire capitalism, not her novels in particular.

snapdragon 09-16-2005 11:00 PM

I see your point about Ayn Rand's little messages, but her stories are okay.. Plus, most of her books that I read are for class.. So, no harm. hehe.

soggypicklemuncher 09-16-2005 11:31 PM

Yeah. I sort of started reading a collection of her essays on capitalism being the only truly moral economic system. I don't know where I put that...

MorgaineFey 09-17-2005 02:33 AM

Currently reading a couple books...Madam Bovary (again), The Portable Beat Reader (I am strangly obsessed with America circa 1950s, and I feel everyone should read, know, grok, Howl: For Carl Solomon by Ginsberg), and I'm reading It by S. King...yet again. Creepy clowns make me shiver and quiver...It feels good to be a little frightened of something fictional, especially when you spend so much time being frightened of reality.

Aeternus 09-17-2005 03:48 AM

Crime and Punishment, by Dostojevski.

soggypicklemuncher 09-17-2005 03:53 AM

I read IT a few years ago. Long, but good.

Alain 09-17-2005 04:02 AM

Stand on Zanzibar. For those who haven't read it, well... you should.

ThwanCondu 09-18-2005 07:22 PM

Ring by Koji Suzuki.

This is the book the movies Ringu and The Ring are based on. It's pretty different. The main character is male, and married. His kid is a baby girl, not a 9 year old boy. I'm getting a horrible feeling that it's quite sexist. Sexist books upset me instantly once I notice it. And it taints it all for me. But I've sworn never to quit reading a book because of content I'm morally oppossed to. And I've decided to give it a chance. Unfortunately as I was just reading it a new character was introduced. Apparently a protagonist. An old friend of the main character. He's a rapist. And the main character is totally aware of this. Has been for decades. Not sure how to feel about this.

sorrow 09-23-2005 12:41 AM

Ring

I read ring, the book that inspired the movie the ring. I relaly liked it. Its based in japan and is barely liek teh movie at all. It's pretty good, and now im reading the sequel "spiral". But yeah I recomend it. It's not as spooky s the movie but its pretty good.

Kampf 09-23-2005 06:20 PM

Well I am reading alot of books I guess I'll rail them off

The Holy Bibile (proverbs and psalms)
Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu which everybody needs to read in their lives.
Being Dharma by Ajahn Chah- which is also a very....inspiring book.
Variouse Bhuddist, Confuciast, Taoist parables.
Red Dragon- a psycological thriller that makes you think.
JTHM- Also makes you think once you delve into it.
Once and Future King- King Arthur and Chivalry
Le Morte D'Arthur- King Arthur and Chivalry (older)

ThwanCondu 09-25-2005 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sorrow
I read ring, the book that inspired the movie the ring. I relaly liked it. Its based in japan and is barely liek teh movie at all. It's pretty good, and now im reading the sequel "spiral". But yeah I recomend it. It's not as spooky s the movie but its pretty good.

OH, I agree, it's definitely good. Very smart. Pretty well played out. But the homopobic and sexist attitudes may prevent me from reading the second book.

Alain 09-28-2005 11:21 PM

ANANSI BOYS!

I finished it yesterday in one huge orgy of reading. Now my head hurts from sleep deprivation. Has anyone else run to the stores yet?

tekajo 09-29-2005 12:15 AM

i'm currently going through the Dark Tower Series again...

Also reading Pleiku by J.D.Coleman which is the true account that inspired the Viet Nam War movie "We Where Soldiers". The book reads like a military debriefing and is full of military lingo. It's quite good once you get use to the battalion designations and other military stuff which are all explained. Two thumbs up beyotches.

Telecosm by George Gilder. 0_o This one is one of those "Brief History of Time" like books. Discusses how unlimited bandwidth can change the world. Or something to that effect. It is interesting because it goes in depth with the explanations of fiber optic telecomunications. Two thumbs and a toe up.

and my favourite one at the moment...O'Reilley's Linux in a Nutshell which is basically a quick reference book to almost anything you want to know about the Linux OS and several popular shells. The main focus are the commands. Awesome book.

winged_dreams 09-29-2005 11:03 AM

The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide.

snapdragon 09-30-2005 03:38 PM

Stay - Nicola Griffith (I love this book.)
With or Without You - Lauren Sanders
Cyanide Wells - Marcia Muller
How I Stayed Alive When My Brain Was Trying to Kill Me - Susan Rose Blauner

crimson_roses41 10-01-2005 09:26 AM

Im currenly reading
Disco bloodbath-James St James.
Killer Kids- Variouse authors
and Body Dump- Fred Rosen

All freekin great books

Disfunction 10-01-2005 09:38 AM

American Gods by Neil Gaiman; it's wonderful.

angedenuit 10-02-2005 07:04 AM

Between Dignity and Despair: Jewish Life in Nazi Germany

ThwanCondu 10-02-2005 10:49 PM

Gah! I had to start Spiral. It's like Narnia...I don't agree with the author's morals but I just can't help enjoying the story! Which causes me internal conflict. And external. You should see the state of the book.

Bloody_Buttons 10-05-2005 05:00 PM

currently...

i am reading ERAGON, its actually a good book, the author is like 14 or somthin like that