Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Music (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Voltaire- Gother Than Thou? (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=25749)

CyanideandRaspberryTea 11-23-2011 05:55 AM

Voltaire- Gother Than Thou?

Not sure if this has been discussed before, but 53 pages of previous threads is a hella lot of reading...

Anyways.

Just wondered if anyone else feels the same way about Voltaire as I do? While I do absolutely LOVE his music and have read his book What Is Goth about 4 times, I feel that sometimes he assaults you with his epic level of Gothness...sometimes it's just like yeah, you're goth, we get it, we think it's awesome?

Anyone?

Grausamkeit 11-23-2011 07:31 AM

I can't say I've heard much of his music. I''m not a fan of his style.

CyanideandRaspberryTea 11-23-2011 07:49 AM

He's not to everyone's taste :)

What's your preferred style?

carakitty 11-23-2011 11:07 AM

This guy seems like kind of a joke. Taking Goth over the top. Is he serious? I do like the way his stuff sounds, but when I think of Goth music I don't usually think of this upbeat waltz style.

Renatus 11-23-2011 11:23 AM

Oh boy, Voltaire and gnet unfortunately have had rather spotty relations with each other. By that I mean direct relations, he has been on these forums, and flamed off these forums. That was a different time with a different variety of people than we have roaming these forums at this very point in time. It's kind of weird seeing new and old faces cycle in and out of here. I do regret being absent in the brief time he was here, I didn't think he was such a bad fellow myself, perhaps I could have convinced him to stay.

wolf moon 11-23-2011 12:29 PM

I've never gotten the "I'm gonna punch you in the face with goth" vibe, but I didn't even know he had a book until this thread.

He used to come to Bat's Day (maybe still does?). He seemed nice.

Most boring opinion, ever.

Alan 11-23-2011 12:50 PM

We didn't 'flame him out'. Despanan trolled him. We all liked him around. He just left. He didn't ragequit.

Grausamkeit 11-23-2011 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyanideandRaspberryTea (Post 685642)
He's not to everyone's taste :)

What's your preferred style?

I like a little bit of everything. I'm just not into that....what is it....'Dark Caberet'(?) stuff. I also greatly dislike the 'gothic metal' genre because it sounds neither 'Goth' nor 'Metal'. Inappropriate name is inappropriate.

MissCheyenne 11-23-2011 02:12 PM

I have no idea who or what Voltaire is. Do I lose my goth card now?

CyanideandRaspberryTea 11-23-2011 02:31 PM

Wow I didn't know he was a presence on here, that's kind of awesome...I really really do want to believe he's a good guy seeing as he's performing at DV8 Fest this year and that's one of the main reasons I want to go >.<

Yeah, I sometimes wonder if he's serious, but to be honest, either you love him or hate him. At least that's my theory. At the end of the day Goth is ridiculous. The whole concept is. It's cliches and cheese that made the sub-culture, why not revel in it? (Yes, even the music is over the top and dramatic and cheesy).

@wolfmoon: He has...three books? Two? Anyhow, it's not my opinion on him all the time, just occasionally on songs like Vampire CLub it's like *sigh*

@Grausemkeit: Ah, fair enough :) I love the dark cabaret stuff and good point about the gothic metal, but I still listen to all that shit ;)

@MissCheyenne: No need to get your Goth Card revoked :P ( My husband and I each have one in our wallets btw just as a joke), but as a fan, I suggest you give some of his stuff a listen ^_^ Especially if you like some waltzy, gypsy, cabaret style tunes

JCC 11-23-2011 02:56 PM

When you have Cabaret Voltaire, who needs cabaret Voltaire?

CyanideandRaspberryTea 11-23-2011 03:20 PM

I can honestly say I'm not a huge Cabaret Voltaire fan haha. @JCC signature CHarles Baudelaire quote, nice!

Renatus 11-23-2011 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 685681)
We didn't 'flame him out'. Despanan trolled him. We all liked him around. He just left. He didn't ragequit.

My apologies for the failure to differentiate, 3rd hand info for you.

But more on topic, he's actually not the only one to have written a book on goth who has been here. From what I hear the gothic charm school creator was once a major contributor here. But that was long before my time even.

Grausamkeit 11-24-2011 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renatus (Post 685719)
My apologies for the failure to differentiate, 3rd hand info for you.

But more on topic, he's actually not the only one to have written a book on goth who has been here. From what I hear the gothic charm school creator was once a major contributor here. But that was long before my time even.

I don't think she was on here that long. I think she had stopped contributing when I joined in 2003.

Miss Manners was giving her shit and threatening legal action because she had been calling herself 'Gothic Miss Manners'. Apparently the original 'Miss Manners' is a stuck up cunt too good to associate with goffs.

Sinjob 11-24-2011 07:29 AM

He's probably the only goth who can sit down on fucking Fox news and at last PASS as normal.

He's needed. His camp and novelty is the very thing that makes him great. He's also one of the few people who can make good, well-thought out goth jokes that are dead on most of the time. He's a consumer whore obviously, but do you expect him to make any money with the projects he feels passionately about? Ya'all nigguhs know he's just a trekkie who digs the spooky shit and thank god he doesn't take himself so fucking seriously like everyone else seems to do who tries to rep gawf. I mean he's said himself on this very fucking website (which was hilarious because he's a celebrity not hiding the fact he googles himself).

I mean the whole interview he made NO HAND GESTURES or bullshit rhetorics to try and mystify himself. For a goth to show his ability to do this is magnificent. AND ON TV, BITCH!

CyanideandRaspberryTea 11-24-2011 11:32 AM

Well said, sir *applauds*

Grausamkeit 11-25-2011 11:53 AM

Sinneh, quit being articulate. Show off.

Sinjob 11-25-2011 12:07 PM

But I love myself too much

:(

Grausamkeit 11-25-2011 01:14 PM

I love myself too much, too. Only in the shower, though.

:p

Sinjob 11-25-2011 01:40 PM

Everyday.
All day.
Everday.

AshleyO 11-25-2011 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 685681)

*ahem* -_-

Grausamkeit 11-25-2011 05:32 PM

^HA!

FLAME ON!!!!

superblacksecretwritingissuperblackandsecret

Sinjob 11-25-2011 05:53 PM

My crotch is on fire.

Grausamkeit 11-26-2011 10:57 AM

We don't need no water let the muthafucka burn!

The Divine Ms. M 11-26-2011 05:38 PM

LMAO! That was too funny! :D