Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   General (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Aliens. (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=24444)

Sinjob 03-30-2011 05:56 PM

Aliens.

After hearing my dad's tale of being abducted last week (which was pretty vivid, gray faces and all) and my friend constantly informing me of these 'multi-colored, pulsating lights' he's been seeing in the sky at night, I've re-discovered my hobby for pondering life...out there.

So, ya'all believers?

Murder.Of.Crows 03-30-2011 06:05 PM

Well the possibility of life on other planets has bee proven, but only proven on a single cell level, such as bacteria. The Kepler telescope has identified 54 planets of which are a similar size to Earth and in habitable zones from their suns. However, I find it unlikely that intelligent life exists, that can both travel interstellar distances and have knowledge of Earth. It is possible though and I won't deny it, but somewhat unlikely.

Sinjob 03-30-2011 06:11 PM

^You're right, I forgot about that and that alone surprises me because I was super hyped when I found out about the meteor. I was thinking more along the lines of intelligent life.

Murder.Of.Crows 03-30-2011 06:19 PM

I have also thought of intelligent life outside of our planet (I think it would be safe to assume everyone has). I have often wondered if they would take the same approach to alien life as we do with wild life. That we observe wild life from a distance and at times capture members of the species and tag them for study.

ape descendant 03-30-2011 06:35 PM

The phenomenon is real. While I don't know what causes it exactly... I doubt its visitors from outer space.

Ben Lahnger 03-30-2011 07:43 PM

I am not a believer. I think life can and does exist elsewhere in the universe, but there are other, more earthly explanations for these reports.

Versus 03-30-2011 07:48 PM

MurderOfCrows; how do you prove a possibility?

Also. All of you are wrong.

vindicatedxjin 03-30-2011 07:51 PM

I don't like this thread. Any talk of aliens scares me. Even though they don't exist...fucking fourth kind traumatized the shit outta me.

Murder.Of.Crows 03-30-2011 07:56 PM

ugh, there I go again, sounding dumb in the midst of trying to sound smart. Oh well, nice catch Versus.

Judas 03-30-2011 08:36 PM

Given the immense size of the universe, and the number of starts in even a small galaxy, it seems unlikely in the extreme that Earth is the only life-producing planet out there. It seems almost as unlikely that humanity is the only technologically advanced (from our own perspective) sentient species, and slight less unlikely that there are species that are far more advanced than us.

Of course, going back to the immense size of the universe, it seems as unlikely that we will ever encounter a space-faring civilization, or for that matter, any form of extra-terrestrial life as is that Earth is the only life-bearing world. Unless, of course, life is a far more common occurrence in the universe than anyone has ever before thought.

Fruitbat 03-30-2011 09:07 PM

I think there has to be other intelligent life out there somewhere - it's pretty arrogant to think humans are it.

The lights in the night sky are actually fruitbats - we like wear LED lights on our wings... we call it pimping our wings.

Nightwalker39 03-30-2011 09:12 PM

In my opinion there is more likely a chance that the paranormal exist then aliens. But we all should know by now that the paranormal do exist.

Murder.Of.Crows 03-30-2011 09:13 PM

Bwahahahaha.... your kidding me right?

Nightwalker39 03-30-2011 09:14 PM

What reason would i have to?

Murder.Of.Crows 03-30-2011 09:21 PM

Oh, sorry. I just assumed that what you just said couldn't possibly be your true opinion. I guess i expected to much from you.

Nightwalker39 03-30-2011 09:26 PM

How do you think so?

Murder.Of.Crows 03-30-2011 09:33 PM

Think what, of which topic out of the countless possibilities are you referring to?

$haDe 03-30-2011 11:13 PM

My personal view on this topic is ... If I'm an alien, evolved somewhere so far away human technology can not reach AND I'm still able to reach this planet,

...then I wouldn't just show up and "I come in peace.".

They keep showing up and vanished in the most obvious way like following an airplane or in the middle of the day AND not once valid evidence is found.

It's like they keep themselves myterious on purpose and keep 'teasing' the principles of our sciencetists as if to remind us that they exist but we can't prove it.

Someone is playing God.

Versus 03-30-2011 11:22 PM

... Fermi paradox. This thread is closed.

Saya 03-30-2011 11:36 PM

http://www.filehurricane.com/viewert...elieve-cat.jpg

Fruitbat 03-31-2011 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saya (Post 661989)

Those goddam cats! Building space ships now, that look like themselves... how friggin' egotistical is that!!

Will anyone stand in their way? Where's flash gordon when you need him?

Alan 03-31-2011 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by $haDe (Post 661984)
My personal view on this topic is ... If I'm an alien, evolved somewhere so far away human technology can not reach AND I'm still able to reach this planet,

...then I wouldn't just show up and "I come in peace.".

Yeah, that's the theory that life tends to destroy life, so any contact lasts for a very short amount of time.
I don't think we'd be that huge of an asshole to destroy a whole other world for our sake, though. So I don't think other intelligent beings would too.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Versus (Post 661987)
... Fermi paradox. This thread is closed.

This is the first time I have ever seen someone mentions a paradox to CLOSE a discussion instead of opening it.
It's a paradox, man.

Despanan 03-31-2011 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinjob (Post 661808)
After hearing my dad's tale of being abducted last week (which was pretty vivid, gray faces and all) and my friend constantly informing me of these 'multi-colored, pulsating lights' he's been seeing in the sky at night, I've re-discovered my hobby for pondering life...out there.

So, ya'all believers?

Your Dad went to a gay club.

Still Jack 03-31-2011 08:07 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSeNSzJ2-Jw

This is what aliens sound like. :D

Methadrine 03-31-2011 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judas (Post 661909)
Given the immense size of the universe, and the number of starts in even a small galaxy, it seems unlikely in the extreme that Earth is the only life-producing planet out there. It seems almost as unlikely that humanity is the only technologically advanced (from our own perspective) sentient species, and slight less unlikely that there are species that are far more advanced than us.

Of course, going back to the immense size of the universe, it seems as unlikely that we will ever encounter a space-faring civilization, or for that matter, any form of extra-terrestrial life as is that Earth is the only life-bearing world. Unless, of course, life is a far more common occurrence in the universe than anyone has ever before thought.

And here's a few more things to add to that: Even if life in the universe is a common occurence, don't forget the concept of time too. Consider how old the universe is, then consider how infinitely small our window of existance is. Add the vast distances of space, and the assumption that not all life evolves into intelligent (well...) civilizations and by then you should have a pretty good idea of the window of opportunity we have to actually meet (or recieve a message) from an extraterrestial source. Even if another civilization has had space-faring technology for some millenia, it's not granted that that millenium was in our timeframe. It could have been some million years ago, etc (in a galaxy, far, far away...) So even if a gazillion space-faring civilizations fling around the universe like Picard on vulcan speed, we still have just an atom of a drop in the ocean to actually meet them thanks to time and distances.

Unless there's technology to overcome that, but the universe is still pretty damn big and dark and it's hard to find a bloody place to park.