Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Literature (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What Are You Reading? (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=517)

rockandrose 11-27-2005 09:04 PM

"The picture of Dorian Grey" is a fabolous read!

I haven't read any of his faerie stories yet. I should check it out!

Auriane 11-28-2005 03:14 PM

All Wilde's short stories set in romantic England are worth reading (well, I think it's romantic, it's the era with all the dandies and all). The others are nice too, but less interesting.

rockandrose 11-28-2005 10:08 PM

I'm currently reading the "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen.

Scythan 11-28-2005 10:27 PM

Genesis by Poul Anderson. So far it's not that great, but it has enough potential to keep me reading, just in case.

rockandrose 11-28-2005 10:33 PM

Is that book sci-fiction?

Scythan 11-28-2005 10:36 PM

Yeah. It's my first sci-fi in a while, since I just went through my newly bought collection of Carl Hiaasen novels.

rockandrose 11-28-2005 10:38 PM

What do you think of the book "Skinny puppy"?

I haven't read it yet.

Scythan 11-28-2005 10:41 PM

You mean "Sick Puppy", right? It was the first one of his I read, and one of the better ones, in my opinion. They were all enjoyable, though.

rockandrose 11-28-2005 10:45 PM

Yeah that's what I meant. I confused myself with the band at that moment.

Scythan 11-28-2005 10:46 PM

Heh, that's all right. :P

What type of books do you like to read?

rockandrose 11-28-2005 10:51 PM

I usually read crime, literature and the occasional romance related books.

I rarely read any sci-fiction books.

You're a major sci-fiction fan aren't you?

Demonista_Ravenesque 11-28-2005 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockandrose
What do you think of the book "Skinny puppy"?

I haven't read it yet.

Why that's one of my favourite bands!

I'm reading Undying by Clive Barker...only just started.

Scythan 11-28-2005 10:58 PM

In response to rockandrose:

Yeah. From what I've seen, people rarely just dabble in the harder science fiction; I certainly didn't look back. I was into fantasy for a couple years, then got interested in the scifi/fantasy books (like the Pern series, by Anne McCaffrey). I've been into science fiction for a few years now, and not getting tired of it yet, although I need a break every once in a while. I then usually read humorous books such as ones by Douglas Adams, or Piers Anthony.

I was into mysteries for a while, but never really got into it. I can see what the appeal is, because many of the sci-fi books I read have mysteries and crimes as a large part of the storyline. I enjoy this because of the futuristic/alien themes that oftentimes go along with sci-fi.

Do you read Shakespeare? I'm not a big fan, but a couple of my friends are.

rockandrose 11-28-2005 11:03 PM

I haven't read anything by Shakespeare for about 3 years now.

I've only read Romeo & Juliet, Hamlet and Othello.

Othello is one of my favourite Shakespearean books.

Scythan 11-28-2005 11:06 PM

I tend to like going to the plays rather than reading the books. I've been to three of them so far. Since I'm not that great with the "language" that Shakespeare uses, the plays really help because the actors use exaggerated expressions and gestures to get their meaning across (I usually go to the comedies). I think I'd enjoy his writing more if it were easier to understand.

rockandrose 11-28-2005 11:16 PM

I enjoy reading Shakespeare's work due to the fact that his language can be ambiguous. Hence, I need tend to read his work several times in order grasp a better understanding of the language and the meanings behind his writings.

I'm also a big fan of Oscar Wilde's work including as his poetry and plays.

Scythan 11-28-2005 11:23 PM

I haven't read any of Oscar Wilde. My experiences with poetry were basically limited to what I had to learn/read in high school. I still let myself enjoy what was required, because I'd much rather enjoy school than not.

I like how Shakespeare can easily fit two or three meanings into one word. His writing makes you think.

It's amusing to read one of Shakespeare's plays and come across a few cliches. Really, he's the one who started those phrases, so we are still speaking "Shakespearean" today.

Well, good night. :)

rockandrose 11-28-2005 11:27 PM

Goodnight Scythan.

It's always a pleasure reading your posts!

Dr. Faust 11-28-2005 11:39 PM

Might I suggest Midnight Blue:The Sonya blue Collection by Nancy A. Collins? Sonya Blue is a punk/goth female vampire and vampire slayer. You see she was ***** by a vampire during her transformation so she is on a mission of vampiric destruction. Quite simpily the best vampire fiction I have ever read IMHO!

sensuous0mar 11-29-2005 06:37 AM

I've gotten hardcore into Christopher Moore. Have any of you ever heard of him? Fluke? Blood Sucking Fiends? Lamb? The Stupidest Angel? Practical Demonkeeping? Island of The Sequined Love Nun? Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove? Coyote Blue?

sensuous0mar 11-29-2005 06:42 AM

you see he's got this really almost sick kind of humor, but not too sick. It's just right in my book. He is very similar to douglas adams...you know, so long and thanks for all the fish (hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy). He's an amazing writer, that Chris Moore, and funny as hell. Read Lamb and Practical Demonkeeping especially!

Dark_love_2008 12-02-2005 03:33 PM

The Drawing of the Three

I'm about 3/4th the way through the Drawing of the Three. I must say the series is really good so far.

Scythan 12-02-2005 03:43 PM

I just started Imperial Earth by Arthur C. Clarke. It's pretty good so far.

TwistedKitsune 12-03-2005 09:07 PM

I'm currently rereading The Crown Of Stars series by Kate Elliot, because I recently found myself in possesion of the 6th book in the series.