Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Literature (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What Are You Reading? (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=517)

Nevan 01-09-2008 05:29 AM

Wow - just went there - it is quite magnificent!
*bookmark :)*

Godslayer Jillian 01-09-2008 08:26 PM

Again, let down the book The Idiot. I promise I'll finish it someday, but right now it's just not the priority compared to other stuff I have to read.
Currently, I'm reading CrimethInc.'s primer fighting for our lives
Then I also have to read eight books by some crimethincers, mostly field manuals, but I want to buy and read Animal Farm, 1984, and Fahrenheit 451 after reading the primer and before the rest of the books.

Jackula 01-09-2008 08:31 PM

'Salem's Lot - Stephen King

MollyMac 01-09-2008 08:54 PM

Peter S. beagle's "The Lines Between"-

it has "Two Hearts", the sequel to the Last unicorn

korinna5555 01-10-2008 05:58 AM

God's Concubine, Sara Douglass.
I really need to buy the third and fourth books..
Someone remind me this evening, please. :)

Shlindrea 01-10-2008 06:36 AM

George Orwell's Animal Farm

Darcnyss 01-10-2008 07:11 AM

I really need to get myself some new books!

Re-reading R.A. Salvatore's "The Crystal Shard"

honeythorn 01-10-2008 01:13 PM

Terry Pratchett's " Wintersmith ".

It's a great take on both the the winter solstice and what witchcraft is at heart ( less fancy words and new age jewellery and more getting on with it ), and also it contains small blue scottish men, a plague of chickens and a cheese called Horace. All of this = WIN for me.

Godslayer Jillian 01-10-2008 04:30 PM

Yay, I got my books already. :)
So now I'm reading Orwell's two books and Fahrenheit 451, and The Problem With Civilization sounds like something I'd enjoy, so I'll have to put it in my roster.
More books! =[

Darklight689 01-10-2008 07:07 PM

I promised my friend i would read harry potter series. Alot easier then what im used to but it's entertaining. Im actually using propper grammar and punctuation now. This is amazing

HeWhoMustNotBeNamed 01-10-2008 07:18 PM

Twilight by William Gay. It's a weird and sureal deep south gothic tale. Very strange and a little perverse, fantastic!

Dreggas 01-10-2008 07:37 PM

The Medieval Underworld - Adrew McCall.

Basically an historical book about what life was like for the "outsider" or "villein" in the middle ages.

0_Cothurnatus_0 01-11-2008 03:45 AM

I have three favorite books. They are Holy Bible, Fleurs du mals by Charles Baudelaire and best poems by E.A. Poe. I love reading modern Gothic poetry too.

Edward Strange 01-13-2008 07:51 PM

Not really anything especially alternative but right now I'm reading "Diary of an On-Call Girl", which is the diary (oddly enough) of a UK police woman who is a response officer, hence the 'on-call'.
It's really very interesting and good. Funny, satirical, very 'real' and unlike the other book I've read in a similar sort of genre ("Wasting Police Time") it doesn't feel.. Bleak, as Wasting Police Time does. Instead it gives more of an impression that "Okay, it isn't perfect, but that's just the way it is."

But yes, anyway...

HumanePain 01-13-2008 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0_Cothurnatus_0
I have three favorite books. They are Holy Bible, Fleurs du mals by Charles Baudelaire and best poems by E.A. Poe. I love reading modern Gothic poetry too.

Great minds think alike! Only I would add Samuel Johnson.

Frozeninside 01-14-2008 05:03 PM

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish by Douglas Adams

zeronegativeplus 01-15-2008 08:33 AM

Christ The Lord: Out of Egypt by Anne Rice

Wittish 01-17-2008 12:38 AM

Ah. Well, I tend to get bored very easily when it comes to books, so I just read a whole bunch of different books at the same time. Like, I sit down for hours with a stack of books next to me and rotate novels every once in a while. You finish a lot more books, faster that way...To me at least. Anyway, I'm reading about eight books right now:

1) Emma - Jane Austen
2) Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
3) The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain
4) Valiant - Holly Black
5) Inkheart - Corniela Funke
6) Wicked Lovely - Melissa Marr
7) Fly by Night - Frances Hardinge
8) Gone With the Wind - Margaret Mitchell

Though I'd have to say that my favorite books ever are Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte) and Frankenstein : Prodigal Son (by either Dean Koontz or Stephen King, I forget). Those are really good ones.

Frozeninside 01-21-2008 04:16 PM

^ I absolutely love Jane Eyre.

Wittish 01-21-2008 10:57 PM

^^ And how could you not? I have to say, though, that I think she mentioned God & co. a bit too much...But I guess that's part of what reading a book from that time period entails.

Either way, it was a great book...Glad someone else here liked it. =)

luna5770 01-22-2008 01:28 AM

Nora Roberts ''The Stanislaski Sisters''. I always loved love novels pihh i have no idea why

jestercel85 01-22-2008 06:09 AM

Seeing as I just started college I am now reading a crap load of text books, but on top of that I am also reading Angels and Demons, or at least I will be as soon as I get a chance to read anything other than school related crap. Anyone read it before???

Rotting Corpse 01-22-2008 09:12 AM

I finnished "The Pariah" by Gaham Masterton and just started "Illuminati" by Dan Brown