Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Music (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   So, when did Lady Gaga decide her influences were... (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=17026)

DepthsofSpace 11-15-2009 07:12 PM

So, when did Lady Gaga decide her influences were...

...comprised of mostly post-punk and classic rock?

Quote:

Originally Posted by From Lady Gaga's MySpace
Yoko Ono, Elvis, David Bowie, Morrissey, Queen, Robert Smith, Robert Plant, Freddy Mercury, Prince, Rod Stewart, Thomas Dolby, Depeche Mode, The Faint, Radiohead, Beck, Franz Ferdinand, The Cure, Nine Inch Nails, Grace Slick & Jefferson Airplane, Queen, Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Nirvana, Talking Heads,The Scissor Sisters, The Dresden Dolls, Mika, She Wants Revenge, Janis Joplin, Jenny Lewis, Joy Division, New Order, The Killers, Justin Warfield, Chuck Berry, BuckCherry, Billy Idol, White Stripes, Strokes, Blondie, Pat Benetar, Rilo Kiley, Elton John, Jerry-Lee Lewis, John Lennon, The Beatles.

I mean really? She doesn't sound anything like most the people listed there. Did I miss something?

Still Jack 11-15-2009 11:06 PM

Anyone can have influences. Doesn't mean they have to sound like them. I mean I can kinda see the David Bowie influence with all the weird and wonderful shades and all that. But she doesn't sound at all like Bowie.

Krick Wurkheiser 11-16-2009 02:25 AM

Most of the people on her list actually make music in some form... there's some sort of discrepancy in that, surely?

Maybe she hired someone to list some cool-sounding names for her 'space...

JCC 11-16-2009 08:27 AM

I like that you highlighted the bands she probably most sounds like and didn't say anything about Chuck fucking Berry.

Not Tha Duckman 11-16-2009 08:51 AM

Beat me to it.

D0PPLEGANGER 11-17-2009 05:18 AM

What a load of bullshit. People are so fucking fake these days it's disgusting. Everyone knows exactly what to namedrop on their shitty little lists so that the world will think they're oh so special. Fake posturing morons should die.

Actually I think the only safe course of action is to just gas everyone that uses social networking sites or at the very least all the the ones that list The Killers in their favorites lists.

D0PPLEGANGER 11-17-2009 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCC (Post 582066)
I like that you highlighted the bands she probably most sounds like and didn't say anything about Chuck fucking Berry.

What are you talking about? She determinedly does not sound like any of the bands he highlighted.

oktoberschilde 11-17-2009 10:14 AM

I am not usually katty about things but, personally, I hated her sound from the moment I turned her on. She truly has a sound all her own ( thank Goth). It was as if, Cindy Lauper,(wrench) and Paris Hilton (Puke), somehow became subjects of some gov't experiment gone wrong, were genetically mated, and sired a Love child. And in its post pubescent years, It started trying to begin a singing career.

Hey any one remember the, Cindy Lauper, wannabe from that movie years ago. Sorry it has been years so I don't recall the name. Anyone remember the bimbo with the headlights on her Boobs? 200 cool points to anyone who remembers the name of that Movie!

I am sorry; I listened;once. Than twice for good measure. and I about puked! She is just trying too hard. She does win the first annual technicolor yawn award !
Well, enough from this old Bat; the Thrill is gone. The only consolation is, thankfully, from the original poster: hey, Depths: Thanks for pointing her out, so I can be sure to avoid her in the future.

The Infamous Mr.Oktober

Not Tha Duckman 11-17-2009 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oktoberschilde (Post 582371)
thank Goth

Oh fucking Christ, not another one...................

Quote:

Cindy Lauper,(wrench)

Are you talking about "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" CINDI Lauper? Bitch, she kicks as holes.

oktoberschilde 11-17-2009 10:32 AM

Wow Duck, Such Ire?! Nope It was Movie with a Wannabe in it. a Comedy BTW. Ms. Lauper was a star for her own mainstream reasons. so 100 demerits to you Duck Man for, " Kicking as holes"

LOL

The Infamous Mr.Oktober

vindicatedxjin 11-17-2009 10:44 AM

I simply cannot for the life of me understand why so many people like lady gaga. The only thing I can give her credit for is her bizarre outfits. Her music on the other hand SUCKS.

Krick Wurkheiser 11-17-2009 01:59 PM

Quote:

I am not usually katty about things but, personally, I hated her sound from the moment I turned her on. She truly has a sound all her own ( thank Goth)

Hear, hear.

gothicusmaximus 11-17-2009 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D0PPLEGANGER (Post 582299)
Actually I think the only safe course of action is to just gas everyone that uses social networking sites

I think we'd do a greater service to humanity were we to slaughter everyone who posts messages expressing homicidal fury at other people's website preferences on the fucking gothic.net discussion boards.

Malice In Wonderland 11-17-2009 04:07 PM

Probably since she liked that music and it inspired her to become a lyricist and then go on to her own musical career.

Krick Wurkheiser 11-17-2009 04:19 PM

Since when is lady gaga a lyricist? Or since when does she have a musical career?

Malice In Wonderland 11-17-2009 04:22 PM

She was a lyricist before she released her own music.

Krick Wurkheiser 11-17-2009 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malice In Wonderland (Post 582459)

Oh, I know she wrote hits.. but they're not what you'd actually call songs. She wrote for the pussycat dolls, enough said...

Not Tha Duckman 11-17-2009 09:36 PM

Stop backtracking and being an idiot. It makes you look like............. an idiot.

Malice In Wonderland 11-18-2009 02:46 AM

I as usual, agree with Duckie on this one.

D0PPLEGANGER 11-19-2009 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus (Post 582439)
I think we'd do a greater service to humanity were we to slaughter everyone who posts messages expressing homicidal fury at other people's website preferences on the fucking gothic.net discussion boards.

I would of course have almost everyone here gassed too. The levels of retardation on this site are rather profound and quite deserving of a cleansing.

D0PPLEGANGER 11-19-2009 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malice In Wonderland (Post 582459)

OMG! She writes her own songs!?!? What a colossal talent!!

D0PPLEGANGER 11-19-2009 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krick Wurkheiser (Post 582516)
Oh, I know she wrote hits.. but they're not what you'd actually call songs. She wrote for the pussycat dolls, enough said...

While you and I may laugh at the notion of her being considered a musician, a lyricist, or god forbid an artist, you must understand the pandemic of retardation that has eclipsed popular culture this last decade.

In this abhorrent age people celebrate mediocrity above all else.

sibyl vane. 11-19-2009 05:05 AM

She knows her demographic, she knows how to target them. She's a decent singer and she can write good hooks. Therefore, she's talented as a pop star.

I don't listen to her music much, but I'm aware of this.

Whining about the fact that she also happens to like good bands isn't endearing, by the way.

Joker_in_the_Pack 11-19-2009 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D0PPLEGANGER (Post 582854)
While you and I may laugh at the notion of her being considered a musician, a lyricist, or god forbid an artist, you must understand the pandemic of retardation that has eclipsed popular culture this last decade.

In this abhorrent age people celebrate mediocrity above all else.

I'm fine with mediocrity. Hell, almost EVERY fucking small time punk band is rubbish by the standards of music, but god damn it, it's pure rubbish.

My qualm with Lady Gaga is that she's what so many other musicians are these days, she's a whore. She sells (bad) CDs. She's not an artist, she's barely a singer, she's a salesperson.

Malice In Wonderland 11-19-2009 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D0PPLEGANGER (Post 582851)
OMG! She writes her own songs!?!? What a colossal talent!!

That wasn't my point.