Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   TV, Movies, & Games (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   The Walking Dead (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=23590)

LegendGirl 11-16-2010 10:41 AM

The Walking Dead

Has anyone been watching The Walking Dead on AMC? If you're a zombie fan, it's a pretty decent show considering it's on primetime TV.

Despanan 11-16-2010 02:38 PM

Saw the first episode. I also own signed copies of the first four trades and the first 30 something issues.

Robert Kirkman is an incredible writer, and also a pretty decent dude IRL.

Overall I'm very impressed with the show. The acting is more than solid, and the special effects are good. It's a pretty faithful adaptation, and the changes they've made are good. I'm VERY happy that out of the gate, this show has more balls than Supernatural ever had (there's a zombie kid headshot during the first few minutes of the episode for instance)

The guy playing Shane (Rick's friend) is miscast, and can't really do a Kentucky accent.

Unfortunately, I'll have to torrent it/wait for DVD, I don't have TV, and as far as I know they're only streaming the one episode.

Deadmanwalking_05 11-16-2010 02:46 PM

I've been watching the show since episode one ,have to say I like it,damn good story.

I really like how the cop scrambled into the tank and found a zombie tank crewman,then let off the colt python,and almost blew his own ear drums out (The blast from a .357 Magnum firing in an enclosed space will fuck your hearing up),I had to cringe though when the deputy told one of the other officers to make sure the safety was off on his Glock 22 (The nice thing about the Glock is that it has no safety,the worst thing about a Glock is...It doesn't have a fucking safety).

Murder.Of.Crows 11-16-2010 02:48 PM

I haven't seen it yet, but it reminded me of Zombieland. They were originally going to make it a t.v. series and were denied due to censors. Now there is another zombie series and made it's way through. Not saying it was a bad turn of events, I think Zombieland is better as a movie judging on the pilot, but i still find it funny. Fuckin censor board.

Geoluhread 11-17-2010 01:58 AM

I watched the first episode and was really impressed with the make up and effects!!
However, I don't think the idea of living dead and few people surviving is suitable for a series. A movie, yes. But not a series.

Underwater Ophelia 11-17-2010 08:01 AM

It's an incredible show.
I predict it won't be around long, though, because the people watching it just for zombies will be annoyed that they spend time developing characters and plot, and people who just want a story may be annoyed at zombies.

Despanan 11-17-2010 09:02 AM

You guys really should read the comic book.

It's like a Zombie Movie that never ends.

Garethsteen 12-06-2010 04:58 AM

I'm not watching it as it's shown but I am recording it so I can watch the whole thing from start to finish. I hate watching shows in weekly episodes, I don't have a good enough memory to remember what happened the week before. :confused:

The Divine Ms. M 06-12-2011 08:28 PM

Saw this on the AMC website: http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-d...on-figures.php awesomeness!:D

Apathy's_Child 06-15-2011 06:51 AM

Yeah, it's good shit. I've really enjoyed it so far. I don't know about miscast (haven't read the comics, although I actually ordered the 1st volume a few days ago so it should be with me pretty soon), but the Shane character pisses me off me. The flip-flop from Mr. Nice Guy to attempted rapist is dismally unconvincing IMO. Most unforgivably though, he's just plain dull as FUCK.

I'm hoping to attach to the characters more in the comic. More of them annoy me than not. Luckily the whole thing is good enough that that's not a deal-breaker, but I'm hoping I'll find the comic different in that respect.

Grausamkeit 06-15-2011 02:59 PM

The way that they went with Rick in the comics pissed me off after a while. I understand people having breakdowns and all, but it makes his character look like a pussy. He's supposed to be the hero, heroes can't be pussies.

Lilyth_Von_Gore 07-18-2011 01:54 PM

I actually adore that series. The first episode grabbed me straight away and before I knew it, I was watching re-runs of all the episodes. I'd never read the comics, so I bought the first one a few weeks after the series on Fox ended, and noticed that there were HUGE differences between the tv series and the comic.
Nonetheless, I loved it.

Hydrodyssodia 07-18-2011 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grausamkeit (Post 669987)
The way that they went with Rick in the comics pissed me off after a while. I understand people having breakdowns and all, but it makes his character look like a pussy. He's supposed to be the hero, heroes can't be pussies.

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/8128/shinjie.jpg

Hi.

CuckooTuli 07-19-2011 08:51 AM

I only read the first comic, and didn't really have the interest to continue. Love the idea of staying with the aftermath on an unending basis and really wanted to like it, but the story was "meh", most of the characters were underdeveloped and annoying, and the sexism... oh, the sexism. I thought the TV adaptation pissed all over it. As I said, I only read the first volume, but after struggling all the way through to like it, I had to accept by the end that I just plain didn't.

Mr E Nigma 07-19-2011 10:52 AM

Haven't read the comic. The show seems pretty good.

I'm all for character development. But I would like a nice pace of zombie action to dialogue.

Apathy's_Child 07-19-2011 11:18 AM

Actually, having sampled, I'm with Cuckoo on the comics. Underwhelming and staggeringly sexist.

Grausamkeit 07-20-2011 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hydrodyssodia (Post 673346)

I don't know what that means. Is it a comic book? A cartoon? Male or female? What is the context of that picture?

CIRQUEFREAK91 12-05-2011 12:58 AM

I thought there would be an episode this week but apparently the next is scheduled to air in February. Last week's episode had an amazing ending.

AshleyO 12-05-2011 08:10 PM

Man, I don't know why everyone is hating on Shane. He's a great character. I love how he's insidious and EVENTUALLY dangerous.

The only thing that doesn't seem like him is his hangups for Lauri. I mean, Rick is back and all. Drop that shit. It doesn't seem to fit him.

Grausamkeit 12-06-2011 09:22 AM

Ashley, are you being sarcastic?

Apathy's_Child 12-07-2011 08:16 AM

I don't think his motivations are clear or well-developed. Where does the rage come from? Is it REALLY all about that whiny bitch who's now gone back to that other whiny bitch, whose whining didn't bother Shane back when they were BFF's? His actions seem to stem from the writers being like "Aight so we should TOTALLY have Shane go all dark & shit!", rather than really showing us what drives the character.

emeraldlonewoulf 12-07-2011 12:33 PM

I don't watch TV. As in, I really don't except for this series. And now we have to wait until Feb.12th! this sucks. Nice mid-season ending, though.

Spooky Spencer 02-12-2012 11:24 AM

Walking Dead returns... tonight!

Kinda feels like a family reunion. With, you know... zombies.

Spooky Spencer 02-12-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AshleyO (Post 686681)
Man, I don't know why everyone is hating on Shane. He's a great character. I love how he's insidious and EVENTUALLY dangerous.

The only thing that doesn't seem like him is his hangups for Lauri. I mean, Rick is back and all. Drop that shit. It doesn't seem to fit him.

Shane hate is kinda stupid. He's the most believable character on that show, mostly because he's almost always right. He has his own set of values, he's devoted to a family that isn't even his, he makes mistakes, but I don't think he's really evil. Dangerous? Hells, yeah.

AshleyO 02-13-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apathy's_Child (Post 686858)
I don't think his motivations are clear or well-developed. Where does the rage come from? Is it REALLY all about that whiny bitch who's now gone back to that other whiny bitch, whose whining didn't bother Shane back when they were BFF's? His actions seem to stem from the writers being like "Aight so we should TOTALLY have Shane go all dark & shit!", rather than really showing us what drives the character.

Dude. It is a zombie apocalypse. Clearly Shane is treating this as a kind of total war. Hell, I think he almost likes it. Everyone else seems to define Shane's behavior though. Everyone else hesitates and second guesses and worries about each others' feelings. Shane has to step up. He has to be the brutal one, the one that would do the dirty work. He threw his morality out the window. Plus, we don't really know much about any of the characters from their past and shit. It's unfair to dismiss Shane outright if we're not going to do the same for the other characters.

Truthfully, Rick is the ONLY character we've got that we can deduce his motivations reasonably. Save for him, all the characters seem to have the same amount of flesh.