Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Literature (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Favorite Writers (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=414)

Metatron 09-06-2005 03:20 PM

Favorite Writers

I'm interested in seeing who your favorite authors, poets, etc. are...

Lately I've really had this thing for T.S. Elliot, some of his works really inspire me. I have many different favorite authors, mostly all of the classics (need I list them?), but I still enjoy the fun books. Dean Koontz has some great books out there, and I just got finished reading Narcissus and Goldmund by Herman Hesse. If you haven't read it, I HIGHLY recommend it.

thejugglingtroll 09-06-2005 03:24 PM

Fyodor Dostoevsky (just sarted reading The Devils), The Marquis De Sade, H.P. Lovecraft, Aleister Crowley...

Metatron 09-06-2005 05:02 PM

Aleister Crowley is great...have you read anything by Israel Regardie or any other members of the GD?

Faustus 09-06-2005 06:38 PM

Favourite writers

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metatron
Aleister Crowley is great...have you read anything by Israel Regardie or any other members of the GD?

Thomas Mann
Heinrich von Kleist
Marquis de Sade
Harold Pinter
Edward Albee
ETA Hoffmann
James Joyce
Nathaniel Hawthorne
Edgar Allan Poe

winged_dreams 09-06-2005 06:55 PM

I like H. P. Lovecraft, Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman, and umm...I can't seem to think of anymore. Perhaps J. R. R. Tolkien too.

winged_dreams 09-06-2005 06:56 PM

Oh yeah. George Orwell!

ice 09-06-2005 07:47 PM

Jack London, Lewis Carroll, Ray Bradbury (though, From The Dust Returned really sucked), Shakespeare, and ah... that's about all I can think of right now.

tiffany_the_writer 09-06-2005 08:26 PM

Stephen King.

As for poets it would have to be Edgar Allan Poe.

ice 09-06-2005 08:44 PM

Err.. damnit. I forgot A Bostonian. I can't quite beleive it.

Spazik 09-06-2005 11:33 PM

Ernest Hemmingway sucks. He sucks big giant sweaty hairy cheesy salty balls. He sucks so much balls that if they had a ball sucking contest they would declare him the winner without even watching the other contestants. He writes worse than Flirting With Suicide. It's a fucking pathetic joke that english teachers hold him up as a great writer. He's just an over rated piece of shit that shouldn't even have his name remembered.

Oh right, favorite. That's my least favorite.

illuminatti 09-07-2005 03:03 AM

Dostoevski, poe, kafka, leonidov(does anyone know this author?), calvino, marquez, the brothers strugatskie(are there any english traslations, does anyone know?), ... and alot of others that I can't recall.

Metatron 09-07-2005 12:55 PM

Ivan Leonidov, the architect?

Faustus 09-08-2005 03:38 PM

Myself........as a writer.

illuminatti 09-09-2005 03:33 AM

Quote:

Ivan Leonidov, the architect?

uhhhhh...no. Unless that guy was an architect as well as an author...which I doubt he was. The Leonidov I was talking about is a Russian author who wrote several things that are kind of in Kafka's style. They are really good, but I don't know if any have been translated into other languages.

thejugglingtroll 09-09-2005 11:16 AM

Quote:

Can't say that I have ... I probably will sooner or later though.

Metatron 09-09-2005 12:47 PM

Which books of his have you read?

thejugglingtroll 09-09-2005 01:56 PM

Quote:

Which books of his have you read?

The Confessions of Aleister Crowley
The Book of The Law
The Book of Lies
Moonchild
Diary of a Drug Fiend
Magick

thejugglingtroll 09-09-2005 01:57 PM

The brothers Grimm, anyone?

Metatron 09-09-2005 07:56 PM

You read all of 'Magick'? Like pounded through all 900 pages of it...?

thejugglingtroll 09-10-2005 08:06 AM

Quote:

You read all of 'Magick'? Like pounded through all 900 pages of it...?

Yes. And 'Confessions', that's a good 900 pages too. They left my head spinning though.

edible_eye 09-10-2005 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spazik
Ernest Hemmingway sucks. He sucks big giant sweaty hairy cheesy salty balls. He sucks so much balls that if they had a ball sucking contest they would declare him the winner without even watching the other contestants.

hahahahahahahahahaha.....

http://personal.inet.fi/koti/turner/...s/laughter.jpg

ThwanCondu 09-10-2005 11:10 AM

Mervyn Peake; Poppy Brite; Kurt Vonnegut; Philip Pullman

Star of Blight 09-11-2005 12:17 PM

Yeats, Machiavelli, Sun Tzu, Lovecraft, Asimov..god so many. Favorite poet is Barbauld though.

soggypicklemuncher 09-12-2005 01:52 PM

I suspect this makes me a loser but I almost always enjoy a good Stephen King book. I started reading him in the fourth grade and have off and on ever since. The last book he worked on that I read was The Talisman, a collaboration with Peter Straub. I like Straub too, read The Throat.

Kurt Vonnegut just fucking owns every other author who ever lived.

I also like Poe, especially his satire and other writing that isn't as well known because it isn't horror.

And Chuck Palahniuk.

thejugglingtroll 09-13-2005 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soggypicklemuncher
I suspect this makes me a loser but I almost always enjoy a good Stephen King book.

I know a lot of people who enjoy King. I never really got that into his books, personally, but they make great films.