View Single Post
Old 03-22-2006, 12:14 AM   #14
Pathogen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorgirl
I grew up on welfare so I,in no way, fit the stereotype. Also, I am thirty-five and have not earned a college degree so there is yet another stereotype that I don't fit. I think people are most comfortable around others who have a similar social/economic backround.I have nothing in common,when it comes to life experience,with people who come from totally happy homes and who didn't have to worry about going to bed hungry at night. Sure, I could be friends with them, but I would not be able to make a deep connection with them.
HORRORGIRL: Same. Those middle-class/rich folks are--at the risk of overstating the obvious--happy because of their privileges & easy access to certain resources compared those at the bottom of the socioeconomic ladder, like myself. I just turned 38 this month & I'm working on getting a B.A. after possibly 3 more years of college. I once read somewhere that if a person grew up in a certain class, chances are their children might grow up in the same exact class. But as history has shown me time & time again, that's not always the case. My mother has been blue-collar most of her adult life & my little brother has so many jobs under his belt, he managed to have worked his way into middle-class status. He works as a paramedic for the Atlanta fire department & when he's not doing that, he works as a jailhouse guard; when he's not doing that, he has 3 business ventures of his own--car-detailing, landscaping & running a recording studio with a few friends called Outhouse Records. As for me, I'm a full-time college student. I'm Gothic, but not "upwardly Gothic" [whatever the hell that means].
Pathogen. is offline   Reply With Quote