Thread: Philosophia
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2006, 04:38 AM   #61
Delkaetre

"Convincing others of the rightness of ones own views is one of the most popular ways to distract oneself from the ugly truth that ultimate Meaning is forever a matter of mere opinion without a shred of translatable support."

Which is why I've given up talking to religious people. I can't prove to them their god doesn't exist, since they believe it does so strongly that all I say is as nought. Everyone has their own belief, and everyone finds evidence in their own mind for it, and no one has any more proof than anyone else. Everyone has their own version of ultimate meaning (or lack thereof), and clings to it.

(I prefer science to religion if I have to have a belief system for Meaning or lack of, but I feel both of them are belief systems- science is based on assumptions, beliefs, which have been put in place because they are necessary to explain things, but are themselves unprovable. Were it possible to disprove them, then the belief system of science would crumble just as a religious system would were its god to be conclusively disproved. It's impossible to completely prove or disprove anything, so both systems remain valid. I choose science because it appears more logical to me.)
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote