Thread: Iraq Revisited
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2006, 07:31 AM   #159
CptSternn

DarkB -

You say 'they were living in fear'. Were they? Thats what the us government would have yo believe, that everyone hated Sadaam and their lives.

How many Iraqis have you spoke with? As I mentioned before, we have a refugee centre here and I work with MANY Iraqis who are now homeless and here, bombed out of their country by americans, who they despise. Most never had any issues with Sadaam. The whole 'Sadaam was a bad man' is tripe the us government is spewing trying to justify its actions. In reality, most Iraqis think of Sadaam like most americans think of bush - they didn't vote for him, they don't like his policies, but thats IT.

Also, your arguement they were 'too scared' to rise up is also crap. If they were 'so scared' of Sadaam, why are they not cowering in fear from the american forces? Why are they shooting and blowing up american soldiers at a rate of 2 an hour? Doesn't sound like a bunch of cowards to me.

If they were so weak, they wouldn't have been able to take the americans either. To even suggest that is an insult to their people.

If you don't believe me, I think this report from today says even more...

http://news.**********/s/ap/20060928...ltBHNlYwM3MTY-

Poll: Iraqis back attacks on U.S. troops

WASHINGTON - About six in 10 Iraqis say they approve of attacks on U.S.-led forces, and slightly more than that want their government to ask U.S. troops to leave within a year, according to a poll in that country.

It's about time that they start asking THE PEOPLE what they want. The only people who can 'fix' Iraq, is the Iraqis.

In the past few days, the us administrationss remaining arguments for invading Iraq have been blown away. First to go was the view that the overthrow of Saddam Hussein had improved the lot of Iraqis - no more arbitrary arrest and torture, no longer an absence of democracy, no more crumbling infrastructure.

Of course this week not only the terror report but the UN report from Kofi Annan was published. It shows that in every respect Iraq has deteriorated since Saddam Hussein was in power. There is MORE human rights abuse. Arbitrary detention and torture of detainees in Iraqi prisons is widespread. An inspection on 1 June found 1,431 detainees - about 10 per cent of the total in custody - with signs of physical and psychological abuse. Some 52 arrest warrants have been issued against officials of the Ministry of the Interior but they have yet to be served. In all aspects of life, since the invasion, the Iraqis have SUFFERED more than they every would have if they had been left under Sadaams rule. More Iraqis have DIED than were ever even thought to have been killed by Sadaam.

To argue that they are somehow better off now is to complete ignore all the facts, not to mention the actual words of the people who are living there.

And I AGREE 100% with your last post. Americans only understand and react to one thing - dead americans. One american teen gets shot and its national news for a month. A thousand Iraqi teens are blow up by american war planes and its a foot note on page A-4 of the local paper with no mention on the news. The ONLY way to get the troops out of Iraq is to kill enough american soldiers that the public wakes up and sees whats going on.

And the Iraqis know this.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote