Old 11-04-2006, 08:47 AM   #9
we_are_138

Philadelphia Clubs:

One place is at a club called Shampoo. Dancing Ferret hosts Nocturne
Where: 7th and Spring Garden
When: Wednesday Nights

The Pros :
+all ages,
+Music for the most part: synthpop, industrial, some metal, britpop, electroclash
+atmosphere
+You don't come home smelling like smoke.
+Size : the place is big, so there's lots of places to explore and play hide and seek
+Good Lighting, and some dark corners
+Bouncers/staff generally very nice.

The Pits:
-Lay Out: there are limited places where under 21s can go. Any area where there is an alcohol serving bar, "underages" can't be there. Normally this wouldn't matter, BUT the best DJ/music is played downstairs, and that is blocked off to underages. It's not a problem for me since i'm over 21, but I can imagine it might be a little annoying to some. However, it's still a great place to go.
-expensive drinks. $2.50 for water??!?!? I don't drink alcohol so i have no idea how much those beverages are. It's a 7 to 10 dollar cover depending on the night!
-you will be frisked before you enter. on one hand it makes me feel safe, on the other it's a little invasive.
-"galley-way" shaped dance floor in the 21 and over area. It's not TOO small, but there isn't a lot of standing room to people watch. and if you're people watching, you're in the way of the dancers.

My favorite place to go is Shadowland at Ulana's
Where: 2nd and Bainbridge
When: Every Saturday Night
21 and Over Only
Cover: $5

The Pros:
+Dress code! (for your protection)
+They are lax about dress code. You don't even need to be wearing full on black, just look like you like goth!
+Layout: Big dance floor surrounded by tables and lounge chairs and a bar. Upstairs balcony also surrounds dance floor where DJ spins and vendors frequent. The next room in more lounge like, with a bar and comfy chairs. Upstairs in that room has TONS of seating room and cushions for lounging.
+Music: Big dance room plays all the faves, goth industrial/darkwave/synthpop/dance/britpoppy oldies Smaller lounge plays strictly older classics (think bauhaus, souxie, joy division...)
+Crowd is always a bunch of locals, and very friendly
+Location - right next to South Street where there's places to get food nearby (and other bars...)
+Staff very friendly
+Cheap Cover

The Pits:
- Location - While South street has its pros, it also has its cons. There's a dress code at Ulana's for a reason, because the area is not always the most goth friendly. It depends on the crowd that night I suppose. We've never been heckled or attacked or anything, but it pays to be safe.
- Sometimes there aren't always Vendors there, or it's the same vendors. No biggie.
we_are_138 is offline   Reply With Quote