View Single Post
Old 04-05-2007, 12:19 PM   #60
Draconysius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyvian Blackthorne
The Goth Bible, to me, was very satiffying. I don't think it went far at all, it was a perfect little book to me. Well nothing's perfect but...eh...the essence of goth is hard for me to define, and if so it's more than just one definition. Though I do think it's a general appreciation to seeing the art and beauty in darkness. It could even be a stradgedy to understand the light, but I don't think I should get complex with such.
And then, of course, the second pillar and essence is the music-it's become and I must admit I can't say I'd see a long-time goth buying Disturbed or Pantera's hit albums...So the music is a modern foundation for truthfully being goth.
Goth the subculture started as a music genre. There was no goth ideology before the music. Sure, people like Poe, Neil Gaiman, and such may have aesthetics in line with goth culture, but if they don't listen to goth music, they're just not goth. It's like calling every political activist punk.

And keep in mind that I like... LOVE Pantera, as well as Korn, Hawthorne Heights, Chimaira, Diecast, and other metal, nu-metal, pop-punk, and metalcore bands. Goths can listen to whatever they want as long as they retain a profound love for actual goth music. To say goths can't listen to No Doubt once in a while would just be ignorant.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote