View Single Post
Old 02-28-2004, 02:21 AM   #30
ohthefuckwell

i watched one today....el espinazo del diablo (the devil's backbone)

actually, i started it last night, but since i had to actually LOOK at the screen to read the subtitles & my son was in denial about his bedtime, i had to keep stopping. if my spanish wasn't so rusty, it would have been ok.

now....i was slightly disappointed because it wasn't quite as good as i'd hoped. i want to be clear: it wasn't a bad movie, just not as good. it was directed by guillermo del toro, the same guy who directed mimic (which i liked), blade 2 (which i STILL want to see, but haven't yet....thank you, fucker), and he's also directing hellboy (which i am now looking forward to). he also wrote the movie.

anyway, it's about a boys home in post-war spain in 1939. well, it's about more than that, really. the boys are sons of fallen or fighting republican soldiers and is run by a woman whose husband died fighting for the same cause. there's a murder (actually, several murders), gold, sex, deceit (LOTS of deceit), and the ghost of a young boy who tells the newest resident repeatedly, "many of you will die."

the description called it "chilling". eh....it was slightly cooler than room temperature. to me, the scariest part was when dr. casares drank the "limbo water". *shudder*

BUT one of the best moments for me was towards the very end when dr. casares recited the newest poem he'd learned to his dying carmen. that's how i want to go....to have the one person in the world who TRULY loves me, right by me, holding me, reciting heartfelt poetry to ease my transition & to say goodbye. however, i don't want to be like carmen by way of not realizing how much this person loved me until it was almost too late and only realizing it because my lover less than half my age pointed it out to me.

Stay by my side as my light grows dim,
as my blood slows down and my nerves shatter with stabbing pain,
as my heart grows weak and the wheels of my being turn slowly.
Stay by my side as my fragile body is racked by pain,
which verges on truth, and manic time
continues scattering dust and furious life burtsts out in flames.
Stay by my side as I fade,
so you can point to the end of my struggle
and the twilight of eternal days at the low, dark edge of life.