View Single Post
Old 12-11-2008, 01:25 AM   #26
Man In Room 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarica
It does help to remember that not everyone was encouraged to appreciate books as a child, so something that is a pleasure to many is seen as something you only do in school because you are forced to, and never learn to enjoy.
Your arguement proves nothing because the type of person you describe is my very definition of idiot.

For example: It's commonly known at my job that I write a lot and hope to get things published and occasionally a co-worker will ask to see something I wrote. 90% of the time I refuse to show it and occasionally person A will be upset that I showed something to person B and not themselves. My deciding criteria is simply do I know the other person reads for pleasure. I see no point in showing my work to someone who doesn't read otherwise. They're not able to critique the work, they know nothing of literature and I must question their motives for wanting to read anything I write.

I suspect these people want to read my work only as a way to get to know me, rather than for the appreciation of the work itself and--since I have no desire to know anyone who doesn't read--I refuse to show them my work.

In short, I don't associate with non-readers unless I'm forced to, such as in my work environment, and when I am forced to deal with them their opinions on most artistic things (movies, books, music, art) are of little value to me.
Man In Room 5 is offline   Reply With Quote