Thread: Adam Lambert
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2009, 08:50 PM   #7
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch View Post
Well Goth frontmen could help revive the scene. I was watching a documentry about Hippies. There was a band from that Hippy place in California that became famous. Before then no one cared because they thought they couldn't make money, but then they did, so a bunch of producers hired a bunch of people, anyone from the area. Then some people had one hit or semi career for awhile. It opened opportunities for everyone.
There are a couple of problems with this scenario. First of all, die-hard Goths are all about keeping the scene "underground", which means "out of the mainstream".

Second, a hippie and a Goth have -very- little in common. Hippies were a response to the violence and the war in the late '60s and early '70s. They were promoting peace and weed instead of war and violence. Goths, however, are only fans of a certain kind of music. Goths have greatly varied views on politics, war, and other such things, while hippies were relatively united in their beliefs about these things.

Quote:
Usually I don't vote, but I'm thinking if a Goth could get support, then investors will recognize Goths and open opportunities to everyone else. That would be cool, so I might vote. Even if they don't win they know there are people interested in this.
This guy has nothing to do with the Goth scene, from what I can tell. And even if he did, I don't think that most Goths would be that thrilled about it. [Insert every argument about what makes a 'real Goth' and what makes a 'mall Goth' here.]

Anyways, that's my take on the whole thing.