View Single Post
Old 08-17-2009, 10:58 PM   #683
Deadmanwalking_05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus View Post
Absolutely, it could theoretically be pulled off. That chance is

However, even assuming you managed to pull it off once, you'd have to work around the military then adapting to protect itself against further attacks, which is something most armies do extremely well.

No one would have thought the "Low Tech V.C." would have defeated the "high tech, highly mobile United States Military", because they didn't. North Vietnam won because the American public didn't want to continue the high civilian body count, and because North Vietnam was particularly good at propaganda. Militarily, the United States was handing North Vietnam's ass to them on a silver platter. For every American and South Vietnamese fatality, there were at least five North Vietnamese fatalities. It wasn't until after the Tet Offensive, when the United States started retreating, that North Vietnam started making major tactical victories.

As to your comment about the Revolutionary War, I just said that in the 1700's it would have made sense to keep a well armed militias, because rifles were virtually the most powerful weapons available, short of a cannon. However, you also have to realize two things:

1. If it wasn't for the highly organized, professional, well trained French navy, the Revolutionaries wouldn't have had a prayer at key towns like Chesapeake Bay.

2. If the British military had had bombers and tanks (my original thesis), the American military's rifles, be it their flintlocks or a modern M-16, wouldn't have had a prayer. An aircraft carrier would have just been icing on the cake.

Now, I'm glad they didn't, but the truth of the matter is that my original point still stands: A rifle today isn't going to do jack squat to help fight tyranny.
What trait do both of those examples have in common?

Their peoples will to fight what they saw as a tyrannical state.

9x29mmR : The Choice Of Millions for the last 100-107 years.
Deadmanwalking_05 is offline   Reply With Quote