Thread: Jouzu Desu Ne
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 10:27 PM   #7
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
It is pretty sad.

I mean, you're pretty much right on the money with the job description. I worked in a library part time for a few years starting back when I was in my senior year at high-school. Basically they just hang out around the info desk going through and categorizing books, marking books that need to get pulled, and new books they get in every week, and occasionally they attend some kind of event or whatever the library hosts now and then. Most of the time though, they're just sitting there at the computer sipping their mocha and browsing the internet.

The classwork is more interesting than the job itself really. It's not just a bunch of database and taxonomy classes, although you do have to take a bunch of that. It's a lot of information sciences and literature and history and you kind of have to learn a thing or two about a lot of different subjects, even beyond just general education requirements. You get to pick an emphasis on some particular genre that you're supposed to focus on. I decided to go with anthropology, because I like arts and humanities.

I might actually minor in some field of anthropology. Maybe classic literature or world religions.
Wow, here its just a certificate you get, can't remember how long it takes but people usually do library sciences to go along with their degree so they don't end up flipping burgers after they graduate. I think other universities offer library sciences as a degree but as far as I know its not necessary to be a librarian.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote