Thread: Fuck u all.
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2010, 07:44 AM   #82
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Thats more being reasonable about my limits, if I were lets say attacked, if it was by a much bigger man (and Newfoundland is one of the fattest provinces, my odds of running away and outrunning the guy are better than overpowering him) chances are any weapon I have would be used against me, its common sense. I'm not a big person or by any means very strong. Also one thing I didn't even mention was that I'm more likely to be attacked by someone I know and trust and at home, the other more likely scenario is at a bar and I think its a little dangerous to bring a weapon to a bar, even if a guy on the internet told me how to slice off a finger so they'd bleed to death. And again, I'm not worried about it.
"A man has got to know his limitations." - Clint Eastwood (from Dirty Harry)

I've always kept that quote in mind, as I think it really applies to all of us. Saya's comments are a reasonable assessment of what she is capable of and what she may not be capable of. And her assessment of what good a knife would be against a larger, stronger male is spot on. If she was packing a gun it might be a different story, but a knife is very difficult to use against a stronger opponent. She is not being defeatist at all ... she's just being a realist.

There's a thing I dislike more than pessimism, and that is false optimism. If you give a small woman a knife and tell her "Now you can defend yourself", you've probably made her less safe. Because a knife is useless in a gun fight, a knife is not an effective weapon against a larger opponent and a knife requires you to get too close to your adversary. All it will do is give her a false sense of security and possibly lead her to make unsafe choices in a dangerous situation.

I've read lots of news stories about women beating off attackers with purses, umbrellas, canes, pepper spray, mace, guns and moves they learned from self-defense training. I don't ever remember reading a story of a woman fending off her attacker with a knife.

A knife is about the worst weapon I could think of to try to defend yourself with.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote