View Single Post
Old 05-01-2010, 12:50 PM   #5
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Enamdar, I found your diatribe quite interesting:

"Second: them keeping me alive, is just their genes following their selfish interest to reproduce. I represent a major investment in their gene's survival. My fall means a major decrease in their genes reproducing. So that is all there is to their so-called generosity to me. The longer they keep me fed, the longer the opportunity there is for me to pass their genes on. Granted that's a pretty minuscule chance for grandkids hiding and crying in the basement, but its higher than the chances if I starved on the street."

There is some truth to this, but because it is true does not lessen the value of any affection they may have for you. You forget parents of gay offspring. They do not love their children any less because they cannot reproduce. There are some parents who disown their children for coming out as gay, but these are the minority.

There are also parents who, for biological reasons, cannot have children and adopt. They are not passing down any genes but love and invest in their adopted children as if they were their own.

Although in the overall scheme of nature, reproduction is an adaptation of humans to their environment (survival of the fittest for the current world), from the individual perspective, it is the relationship with their offspring, the love of a baby, the nurturing and the child's realization of the affection from their parents in return, as unconditional love of a child (and of the parent *for* the child) is intrinsically valuable, and not just because they carry genes.

But in regards to your other observations, yes, the world sucks. It is swimming with sharks, surviving wolf attacks as you describe. As Benjamin Franklin said in Poor Richard's Almanac: "He who knows the world most, likes it least."

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote