View Single Post
Old 08-06-2010, 11:16 AM   #231
Heretic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_cthulhu View Post
Heretic -
All right, I'll bite ^.^ (pun intended). What sort of fashion do you personally prefer?
It depends on my mood and what I happen to be doing at the time. In this summer heat, I tend towards black athletic shirts with cargo shorts that are heavy on the zippers and buckles. I typically reserve my jeans and motorcycle boots for the evenings. Here's a recent picture of me a the local zoo:

Come autumn and winter, I get to dress things up the way I like. My personal take on the subculture is based on my studies in Romanticism and the Romantic Revival most people know as Art Deco or the Jazz Age. I favor a modern update to Victorian clothing, as well as the more modern lines in clothing from the Jazz Age. I'll put a darker twist on this with antique accents and jewelry sinister-looking enough to catch my eye, as well as the occasional tailored consignment piece. Most weekdays, give or take a vest or frock coat, I can be seen looking like this:

When I'm not dressing up, I'll wear what I call "Outdoor Gothic": dark and subdued versions of clothing made for outdoor activity, commonly from stores like REI. Keep in mind that I live in Minnesota, land of subzero temperatures and snow. Doc Marten's suck ass in snowy conditions, and below a certain temperature, my leathers lose their insulating properties. I own an array of heavy-duty winter gear (all of it black or storm cloud gray, of course) that allows me a put a darker twist on what I wear without forcing me to freeze all winter for the sake of fashion. The North Face and Carhartt are favorites of mine.

Quote:
Do you wear makeup? If so what kind, and in what style?
I've been known to wear clear mascara, but that's about it. The point of most make-up is to accentuate. My eyes already contrast plenty with my skin, my jawline and cheek bones stand out as a result of my shaved head, and facial hair is more expressive than the featureless skin effect make-up provides.

Of course, having dark skin means that "Goth" is the last thing that comes to most people's minds when they see me. Whether I'm decked out in my boots and leathers or dressed to the nines in shades and a black tailored long coat, most people can't wrap their minds around the idea that black people and Goth culture aren't mutually exclusive.

- Heretic
Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote