View Single Post
Old 11-19-2010, 10:45 PM   #269
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitbat View Post
LaBelle - it's no use trying to argue with someone whose entire argument is "You are dumb because of your beliefs" because they are too self-righteous. It is the same as those religious folks who say "Well my religion is better than yours, and to prove it I'm going to get a rocket laucher and destroy everyone in your religion".

And yeah before you say it Kontan I know you think I'm friggin' dumb and stupid and I don't give a rats ass what you think.
Fruitbat, you're incorrect. You're making the mistake by thinking firstly that atheism is a kind of religion. That's not true. It's a lack of faith/religion.

Also, I never said or even want to destroy people or physically hurt people because they're superstitious. Though I guess I am hurting some egos and some pride. I'm not being self-righteous, actually. I'm simply saying that because I'm an atheist, I'm acknowledging the superiority of my stance when it comes to religion. It states a negative and every other belief that one may hold is the one with the burden of proof, not me. The reason this is so and why it seems like I'm being self-righteous is because I CAN'T in good conscience say that it's inherently okay to be a theist. That would be me admitting that there is something possibly wrong with my lack of belief in the supernatural. At the least, I think people who are religious have a minor character flaw. It's not something worth killing or hurting people over. But you can't expect me to give their beliefs a courtesy or a level of respect it doesn't deserve.

Don't confuse me for being the same as an evangelical on the other end of some kind of spectrum. That's just not true.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote