View Single Post
Old 04-14-2011, 11:24 PM   #3471
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
HumanePain, things like this remind me of the time I had reason to go back to my old high school ten years plus after I graduated. It was the same place I remember (oh, the lockers had been painted a different color and there were new things like the occasional student painted wall mural, but it was still the same) ... but it was empty. It probably didn't help that I was there after hours and there really was hardly anyone there, but it didn't feel like high school and that was the moment when I realized physically that it never would.

The saying "you can't go home again" resonates over and over in my life, from looking at old houses I've lived in to old haunts I've ... *ahem* ... haunted. But I've lived in such a way that I don't have many regrets about it, so the disappointment is more a soft melancholy than a bitter ache; a fond nostalgia that more amuses me than saddens me.

But what I find harder to deal with is the awareness that it's time to abandon a favored old haunt. It has a different flavor on the internet, where places are ephemeral and intangible, and people are all shadowy pseudonyms, but it still has the same sour, tart tang. From the 90's when I was leaving old BBS's I'd really enjoyed, to more recent history where things like Napster and MySpace stopped having relevance for me, to current day where I find myself questioning how much longer am I going to use Facebook or this place ... there is a real sadness attached to deciding to leave such unreal places.

And lately it seems like nearly everything on the internet is telling me to step away from the keyboard and get out more.
Thanks man. Just the words I needed to read. I owe ya one.
And yeah, I need to get out more often.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote