View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 08:03 PM   #18
Solumina

So your whole issue with this is that the parents may get distracted? You are judging them for wanting to share their sliver of hope with others in similar situations because they could get distracted?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
It is the same ballpark ... I'm just in the stands, not an actor on the field.
No it isn't and no you're not, you are watching the game on tv with a time delay. Right now you are showing a lack of understanding of basic human psychology and a level of egocentrism that I din't expect from you and quite frankly it is making me furious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
there are proper channels for that to be publicized in (which is how their doctor heard about it in the first place.)
Well that is great that their doctor found it in a medical journal but medical journals take a long time to come out and unless there is a lot of money thrown at it or it is a beyond anyone's belief chances are that article isn't going to get a ton of attention and you aren't going to have a doctor who has happened to read that particular article in that particular journal.

There is another even more important reason, at least to me, for a human interest piece like this. Medical journals are about science, doctors need the science but patients and their families need hope, which is something this article gives them.

Maybe I'm just too close to this and maybe I just can't think rationally about this because if I learned about someone undergoing a new, experimental treatment that would have at least given my father a fighting chance and they wanted to wait until their battle was over before sharing then yeah I would fucking resent them and their decision. I wouldn't hate them as I'm sure they would have thought that decision was in their family's best interest and I wouldn't think less of them for that but I would still think they made the wrong choice.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote