View Single Post
Old 06-22-2011, 10:51 AM   #30
honeythorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
What constitutes "being fat" and what do you say to people who are twenty or thirty pounds heavier than their ideal weight and yet manage to tolerate more physical strain than people who have their ideal weight?

It actually depends on how much of that weight is muscle . Muscle which may be covered by perhaps a little too much fat than is perhaps healthy or normal - though nothing hugely excessive - thereby making them seem to the eyes, very large or "fat" . Also their ideal bodyweight will almost certainly have been deduced from the BMI scale, which isn't well known for it's accuracy.

As I said in a previous post, two people can weigh the same, but one go to the gym and do weights, and have low body fat, and the other sit on the couch and have high body fat. The one who goes to the gym will be able to take more physical strain, and be stronger than the other. Yet both weigh the same on a scale.

The number on the scales is no indication of how fat someone is
. That is determined by observing how they look, and most accurately, with a body composition test to see what percentage of the body is made up of fat.

I'm still trying to find somewhere in my area that does that test. I won't bother aking anyone at my Doctors surgery, as they still think the BMI scale is actually valid or useful.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote