Thread: This Saturday
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 06:44 PM   #66
Saya

Absolutely fucking not. Women are 51% of the population, have 87% of the consumerist power in America, and yet make up 16% in the house and senate. Capitalism thrives on the insecurity of women and use media and marketing to silence women and keep them from gaining democratic representation. That's pretty fucking insidious and if more women became aware of that, the movement would be huge and it would be far angrier. If you dont' get specifics, if you only focus on cisgender middle class white men and their student loans, fuck all will happen. Maybe things will get better for you through reform and regulation, but fuck no there won't be a revolution, and everyone else will view OWS as not for them.

Quote:
It's tempting to shift focus to one or two smaller issues and try to slove those instead, but when you do you weaken the movement and purposefully exclude a huge number of people who haven't even THOUGHT about these issues. You bring personal prejudice into the argument and you undermine your own side and strengthen the opposition by displaying the ultimate liberal weakeness: Our tendency to criticize and second-guess our own before the ones who are actually responsible for the perpetuation of this intolerable situation. You break us up into tribes and nations and camps and fires, and you make it easier for the giant, unified block of dumbasses to run us over yet again because you're too busy quibbling over the details.
I don't think "hey, lets talk about how capitalism instigates racism and sexism as well as class" accuses everyone at OWS of being racist. It means you have privilege and you don't think about it. You should think about it, and here's some things for you to think about. It means you shouldn't have that privilege and if you want to truly change things, you're going to have to sacrifice that privilege. If not, its once again angry white men telling everyone else how things should be. History repeats itself, and OWS is no means of liberation for the rest of us.

Quote:
By all means, keep fighting for what you're passionate about. Keep calling the rest of us out on our shit and keeping us honest. Steer this movement in the right direction, but for the love of god, do it in a direction of solidarity. Do it in a manner which works FOR the movement, not against it, and most of all, do it in a manner that recognizes that most everyone is your comrade, because I'll tell you what, those folks on the right? Those folks in the 1%? They don't give two shits about stolen land or your own struggle for equality and would send you back to the kitchen to pop out babies in chains if they could, and they'd feel good about themselves for doing it.
According to Jonathan, the 99% doesn't give two shits either. Why should I help a movement that derides what I'm passionate about and accuses ME of being divisive when they say what I care about its merely a pet issue?

Quote:
You need mainstream appeal for something like this to work, and you need a consistent easily understood message, and you need to attack the root of the problem and leave the pruning for later.
Again, not everyone even agrees CAPITALISM in and of itself is the problem. Many people would say REGULATION, specifically lack thereof, is the problem. There is no consensus right now on what the root problem is. The thing I liked about OWS is that it did seem unbrandable, free from definition, that we could all bring our difference to and use it as a force of change. If you're saying that's not what it is, that we have to play by the master's rules, then I don't want to support it.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote