View Single Post
Old 06-28-2012, 01:32 AM   #75
CuckooTuli

It does. In other news though, the door swings both ways; spent the rest of yesterday having a similarly knock-down drag-out argument with another acquaintance about feminism, which seems to have gone completely the other day - he's now gone from denying the need for it and bemoaning its "oppression" of men (yes, seriously) and "female supremacy", to admitting that actually, our argument has made him realise he doesn't really know anything about modern movements and that the kind of people he had pegged as representative are actually kind of a joke even among feminists. Also managed to point out the ways in which feminism and men's rights are ultimately on the same side when done right. After a protracted and initially pretty heated argument, he's basically done a total climb-down and been like "Huh, looks like I'm full of shit - fill me in?"

I like to think this proves that self-righteousness isn't always pointless. It's either that, or I should probably do some work. Definitely one of the two.
"Friends are allowed to make mistakes. The enemy is not allowed to make mistakes because his whole existence is a mistake, and we suffer from it. But the women's liberation front and gay liberation front are our friends, they are our potential allies, and we need as many allies as possible.” - Huey Newton
CuckooTuli is offline   Reply With Quote