Thread: Viva Colombia?
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2012, 07:55 AM   #45
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Well it looks like I won't be going because frankly I am refusing their horrible offer. When the discussion first began I was hoping for at least American minimum wage, but then they told me that room and board was part of the deal, so I thought ok I would be at least earning a semi decent wage and getting to see Colombia. Now I hear directly from my mother, I would ONLY be earning room and board........... I would be earning less than the Colombian minimum wage.

If my calculations are correct due to my checking of the rent costs in Tunja Colombia, and then dividing the rent in half and adding that on as food costs. I would be earning about 1000 colombian pesos, or 55 cents A MONTH!

I must be spoiled, I mean after all there are Ophan kids starving in African countries without access to clean water and food. While I would be living with distant family and have access to clean food and water constantly. I should go and see about donating some of my earnings to them, lets just go to the child fund international website and see how much helping a child in Africa costs.......$28 a month. and a brief google search says only 80 of that reaches the child so $22.4....... I would be earning less in a year than an African Orphan earns in a month.

This is the offer my family dares call me spoiled for even considering turning down.

But of course the chance to learn spanish like that is invaluable.

I pray that the information I'm hearing from my mother is of the incorrect variety, or I really don't know how I'll be able to look my mother's side of the family in the eye ever again.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote