View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #151
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Absynthe View Post
@Versus - I can totally understand your apprehension.

The way that the higher education system is here (well, when I was young..), you went straight to Uni after finishing high-school, which meant that everyone there was about 18 years old and most were still living with their parents. I was 22 when I started my first degree (BA - theatre major), and just those couple of years made a huge difference to the way that I could(n't) relate to the people around me.

When I went back to start my second degree (BNursing), I was in my mid-30's and had already been a nurse for most of my life.. the system has changed slightly, so that people have to take a gap ear after high-school and that means that most Uni students are now 19 and have worked in retail and flatted with friends for a year. Again.. huge gap between my experience and theirs.. and even my experience having worked on the wards and the experience of my lecturers who had spent their years teaching about nursing and not actually wiping bums and holding hands. It got SO annoyingly frustrating that I ended up giving up.

I am 38 now, and am back at Uni again to do a BSocSc - I started off with a double major in psychology and justice studies but just can not hack the psychology side of it all - for the same reasons again... I am in a class of 19 year olds who just have no concept of the reality of the ideas that they are regurgitating.. and it makes me too sad to listen to them.

If you go back to school you *will* be out of your element.. but oh, the places you'll go!
Get out of my head, Charles. That's part of the reason I'm scared of these types of courses. From the people Saya has told me about in her classes, I don't know how I'd be able to handle it. I'd rather be in a setting where these types of discussions aren't the critical point of orientation and I can quietly live the rest of my life. Maybe tell people I was in prison for 6 years.

Also, I assumed you were my age.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote