View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #4117
ape descendant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitbat View Post
Ah, thank you for your answer, and not just some stupidass statement. yes, I've noticed people typecasting others because of their gender/race/colour/religion/appearance. I just want to see the world from a different POV.

I found it interesting that while the rest of Australia was all saying "Oh look at Giles, he's the first Aboriginal person in charge of a territory" Giles was saying "Look I know there's been a lot of talk in the media about my heritage, but I want people to look at me for what I've achieved, not because I'm an Aboriginal person who has made it to this position."

So I looked up the wiki on colour blind racism and got to this statement

Critics allege that majority groups use practices of color-blindness as a means of avoiding the topic of racism and accusations of racial discrimination, and thus hide their true racial views,[8] and that color blindness is used as a tool in attacking group legal rights gained exclusively by some minority groups.[9]

But what if my true racial views are that assholes come in many different appearances? And that it doesn't matter on the outside, it matters what is on the inside, the person - and so according to colour blind racism, that makes me racist?

Ugh, there are days when it feels like I can't do anything right.

WMMD: pain medication.
Awe Batty, I know this concept is such a pain in the ass, it took me forever to get a basic understanding of it.

I understand it like this. There are plenty of things that people in a position of privilege ignorantly make to or about people in a marginalized group. Ignoring the fact that some one in a marginalized group has experiences that are directly related to being a part of that group can lead to a person in a position of privilege to be insensitive to those differences or out right deny them to the marginalized person's face.

The person in the position of privilege doesn't mean to be an asshole, or to bowl any one over, but it happens. Things like "color-blindess" are one of the things that allow this sort of thing to happen, but instead of creating a more open and safe environment, it fosters an atmosphere of denial, and may even lead to more strained relations because the person in the marginalized position will be subject to the denial of many real problems they have to live with every day.

It pretty much just allows people in a position of privilege to pretend that marginalized people's problems don't exist.

I hope that helps a little. *hugs*

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote