View Single Post
Old 06-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #8
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan View Post
My main example was actually the tax-exempt status of religious organizations, actually. Which is pretty solid proof of preferential treatment that extends beyond Christianity.
Atheist organizations can register as non-profits. And so can atheist religions like Raelians.

Quote:
But in any case, Atheists can't Hold office in seven states in the USA. Yes the laws are old and unconstitutional, but they're still used in attempts to depose atheists who are elected. Also - privilege does not have to be explicitly legislated to be present. The "Stop and Frisk" laws don't explicitly say "ignore white people" but I still get a pass while looking sketchy and carrying a prop gun to a show. Everyone just assumes I'm not a criminal because of how I look.
When has this happened recently? It was in the sixties it was deemed unconstitutional. Laws aren't really taken off the books when they've lost their teeth, there's still technically places with sundown laws but they can't enforce them, if I recall Jon Stewart was talking about a place where they still technically ban black people from voting, they recently wanted to take it off the books but due to some filing deadline they couldn't.

Quote:
Similarly, there's no need to actually enforce anti-atheist laws because the prejudice against atheists in America is so strong that it's virtually impossible to get elected without identifying as a member of the faithful.
That's true for a lot of faiths. How many Wiccans are in office? Voodooists? And actually its true for some forms of Christianity too, remember the shit Jeremiah Wright got Obama in. Black Christianity is pretty damn hated by white supremacists. Last year was the first year there was a single Buddhist in the Senate and the first Hindu in Congress. Both were from Hawaii where both religions have a big presence.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote