View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 02:48 AM   #25
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Absynthe View Post
Do you think that the higher standard is something that is actually needed?

For instance, it would be lovely if every nurse could do instant drug calcs without using a calculator.. but that's realistically not needed for the job. Is it like that - where the higher standard is nice, but not needed?

Because if that's the case then I think that it is the definition of sexism, being that these people are kept from this opportunity by the systemic discrimination if their gender.

If it isn't the case, and that standard of ability is necessary.. then wouldn't it be like telling someone who was functionally illiterate that they can't be a nurse?

(I've just noticed that my pillows smell like my best friend and now I feel vaguely annoyed that he isn't here to eat licorice and watch Doctor Horrible with me.)

:|
Yeah, I would say it's needed, from my experience.

As an example, when tanks fight each other, they use a special kind of ammunition for the main gun that weights about 100 pounds/45 kilograms. The US army doesn't have an auto-loader in our tanks like a lot of countries for a few reasons that I won't get in to, but that means that each round has to be loaded and extracted by hand. There isn't enough room inside a tank turret to really move around, so most of that has to come from upper body strength. Most tank auto-loaders can reload in about 5-7 seconds. These rounds are so powerful that it usually only takes one shot to destroy another tank. If the gunner misses or has to engage a second tank, the loader has to be able to extract the first round and load another before a machine is able to do the same thing in the enemy tank. In large scale tank battles, that loader might need to do this several dozen times, and if he can't, him and the 3 other soldiers in his tank crew could die in a very horrible way that I won't describe to you.

That's to say nothing about all the horrible injuries. I'm sure you know what arterial bleeding, an airway obstructed by skull fragments, and a sucking chest wound mean as far as time limits. Triage is pretty important and having somebody available who can run with 3 times their body weight is more then a little nice. :/

Also, sorry about your friend. I'm at work, but at least it's a slow night.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote