View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Dude, there's a lot wrong with what you're saying. Firstly it insinuates that other oppressed people have their issues taken care of (they didn't.) And that rather band aid laws solve everything for everyone in the group. (gay marriage isn't going to stop so many trans people from being murdered and assaulted, nor does it address many bullshit laws that hurt trans people). It also assumes no autistics are involved in any of these movements, or that disability intersects with other oppressions. Yes, black people can be autistic. But because of racism, white people are more likely to get a proper diagnosis and care. Also, it ignores there is a large disability movement that has its own issues with acknowledging racism, sexism, queerphobia etc within its own ranks. It also implies there are no women, PoC, queer or trans people who have autism.
Hmm, my apologies but you seem to have taken my meaning to be the exact opposite as I had intended, I should of thought it out more.

My intention was to illustrate how all these other discrimination problems have been acknowledged, by the public at large. I've been a member of gnet far too long to be under the illusion that they are gone and dealt with(I've been paying attention), plus my sociology class pretty much provided all the education I could need on how systematic the discrimination has been (blockbusting).

I was actually specifically trying to be inclusive with the statement of "I'm sure somewhere out there, there is a black lesbian woman who is on the autistic spectrum", sort of like those "I was there too, fighting along your side" kind of campaigns. I apologize for giving off the opposite.

I'm also trying to emphasize a bit of urgency due to the fact that every year, they seem to be getting closer to finishing the job. But I am honestly getting rather scared, things just seem to be getting worse, it's hard to think clearly in such a state I suppose. Everywhere I look these days I see more and more blue puzzle pieces, the logo of autism speaks, the organization that dehumanizes and seeks to exterminate autism. Hell they have the damn empire state building lit up in blue every year. Blue everywhere.

I'll be honest I'm not immune to their hateful rhetoric, sometimes I do wonder, if maybe they're right, and everything about me is wrong. The media hasn't hesitated to shove that message in my face, I know for a fact I'm far from the only person on the spectrum being pushed to self depreciation.

It's not coincidence that there is a high suicide rate among autistics. A friend of mine on the spectrum in Alaska who is like a little sister to me once sent me a picture of just what such self depreciation+a pen results in, and she has an IQ of 121(I'm not quite sure what mine is currently).

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote