Thread: Rant Thread II
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2012, 06:23 PM   #6931
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
Naan is an Indian flat-bread that, when done right, is seriously one of the most amazing breads in the world due to the lovely bit of char it gets from being cooked in a tandoor, so even if there is nothing else the least bit appealing I'm happy to live off of naan.

BUT before I just start going on about my favorite Indian dishes: what kind of food do you like? What textures and flavors appeal to you? Indian food is very much regional (but with lots of mingling and crossovers) and there is a lot of variety to pick from.
OOh I've been trying to remember for years what the indian bread was called, I remember seeing it made as a little kid on tv, it always looked quite interesting and tasty to me. The only problem is I haven't heard of a single place that actually makes and serves it, and since my experiences with indian food haven't been that great it hasn't really come up in my mind enough for me to remember to look it up.

I've always been fond of trying new foods, I'm not a vegan though and quite whole heatedly enjoy meat, but judging by the indian beliefs I think expecting beef is out of the question. For a point of reference however, the last time I had something I would consider non american cuisine I was having a gyro with some sort of lettuce cheese mix and hummus. I'm wasn't the biggest fan of hummus beforehand, so it just shows that I'll eat anything if it's matched well. In my mind the indian variety of spices sounds more like chemistry(which of course it is technecally), than selecting paints for making a masterpiece, and I don't want to spend all day trying different combinations like some sort of food rubix cube. Well I wouldn't mind trying different combinations all day its just I'm constrained by not being able to afford to spend all day in a restaurant/my stomach can't handle non stop eating.

As for cooking things myself, I have been experimenting more and more, not sure if I'm ready to cook indian food yet though. I've even been trying to make my own versions of fast food, such as Taco bell's grilled stuffed burrito except with higher quality/healthier ingredients, so far I've got the special sauce down. Not to mention when I did make it, the portioning went very well since I had more than enough to feed me for days.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote