View Single Post
Old 07-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #45
ape descendant

It has been quite a sad tragedy. My heart goes out to every one who's suffered from this.

I think for many of us, our minds race to figure out how we can prevent such events from happening in the future, some wish to assign blame. I don't think the answer lies in blaming media or guns.

Perhaps there is a more humanitarian way of making the world a little better and safer. In much of our culture, there is a stigma put upon those who suffer from mental illness, that stigma extends to those who seek help for it, that compounded with the costs of mental health services can be a deterrent for those who would benefit from therapies and medications that are currently unavailable to them.

I was thinking about this, because its not exactly common for people to run out and randomly hurt and kill other people, it rather indicates that there's a deeper issue which needs to be addressed.

Two things I think would help, and would be good to work toward either way:

1) Working to lessen and abolish the stigma surrounding people with mental issues or illness

2) Making therapies and medications more readily available to the average person.

Just my two cents.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote