View Single Post
Old 10-15-2011, 12:34 AM   #135
x-deviant-x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
I'm sorry, you have an earlier source than the Alphabet of Sirach that references her as Adam's wife? there's my reference, where's yours?
I believe you are right Saya so I must apologize. I can't find explicit reference of her being Adam's first wife prior to the Alphabet. However, she is referenced from several other sources, not just Hebrew or Babylonian. She's also been found in name and depiction on artifacts from that era. In most every reference she is associated with demons, shadows and the underworld. Usually in the form of a succubus. I wish I had some Joseph Campbell books handy to help explain my position on this but I currently do not.

There are other mythologies similar to Lilith from various parts of the world, which lend credence to her origins. Just one example; in Polynesian/Maori mythos, the Creator made woman from mud, had a daughter with her, married the daughter and had children with her. When the daughter found out, her disgust and resentment turned her evil. She left their home and became goddess of the shadows/underworld.
x-deviant-x is offline   Reply With Quote