Thread: Rant Thread II
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012, 03:57 AM   #6905
Apathy's_Child

Yeah, I grew up with dogs and my mom's & brothers' were awesome, but pretty wild in terms of running off and shit - one of them got hit by a car doing it. That was fucking horrible(and my family are Italian, so if you think MY emotional incontinence is bad you should see us as a collective). My 2 older brothers and I had one each on the basis that we were responsible for looking after our own, and although we were pretty good about walking, toilet training and all that jazz, we didn't really know shit about the importance of training. You definitely did the right thing relocating yours if he was given to breaks for freedom.

After what happened to my brother's first thing I taught Sax as an adult was to heel like a motherfucker. That command does NOT get broken. After having that drilled into him for 2 years I can literally take him anywhere without even needing a lead. I still use one if there's gonna be busy road-crossing since better safe than sorry, but he's never, ever run off. If he sees a cat, all I have to do is use The Tone and he just looks after it longingly then comes back to heel. It's well worth doing, although it depends on their temperament - not all dogs are capable of learning that much self-control, god love 'em.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote