Thread: Weiners.
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2011, 09:15 PM   #51
Ben Lahnger

I really think your focusing on the bedroom too much.

1) What he did wasn't in the bedroom.
(It certainly wasn't in HIS bedroom! Har-dee-har-har!)
2) There is evidence that some of the activity took place when he was in his office on "paid" time.
3) He really didn't get into the serious trouble until he got caught in a lie.
4) The voters in his area seem largely supportive of him, but the press are hounding him (which is what they do, so it shouldn't come as a surprise) and it's gotten to the point where Democratic leaders are asking him to step down. If he doesn't, I imagine he can get re-elected, because, as you say, his constituents don't seem to want him to resign.
5) There's no hypocrisy - people running for office routinely hold themselves up as being better than model citizens. I'm sure every election campaign Anthony Weiner trots his wife to stand on that stage with him, modeling what an ideal and loving couple they are. Now that some of his internet sexting pals have revealed that he isn't what he represented himself to be, there's going to be a reaction.

Saya, you just want to live in a land where politicians can be as wild and kinky in their personal lives as they want, and the public should have no opinion about it if it comes to light. Well, that's not the real world. And I don't think there's a darned thing you or anyone else can do to change people's opinions in this regard. But you CAN keep insisting that it's wrong, and frustrating the heck out of yourself.

Me, I'm satisfied with the fact that he knew the game wasn't fair when he started playing it - when he decided to get into public service - and even after all the other cautionary tales in the headlines in recent years, he still engaged in the risky behavior with strange women he hardly knew on the internet. I'm not feeling one bit sorry for him.

Oh, and I think I'd be right royally pissed if I was Weiner's campaign manager right now. For lack of being able to keep his digits in his pockets, he's taken what should have been a fairly easy re-election campaign and made it into some kind of fight. There will be credible opposition now, and that campaign manager is going to have to work his ass off.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote