View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 05:13 PM   #5115
Saya

Oh, maybe that came out wrong! I meant I like how it debunks a lot of evo-psych and gender essentialist stuff, and I tried to commit to memory the stuff I can definitely use again when people try to argue with me. I took it by distance so there wasn't any great discussions (more than a few posts made me want to spork out my eyes actually) and the sections on trans* and lgbt, particularly bisexuality, made me want to cry. Like, the author kept referring to trans people by their assigned at birth sexes, so if she was referring to a transwoman, she'd keep saying "he"...but she didn't so much with transmen.

With the bisexuality stuff, there was just this attitude that hetero, gay and bi are the only three sexual orientations, man and woman are the only two gender identities you can have, and while she admitted bisexuality is very poorly researched, she referred to that study that showed bisexual men don't exist (it was redone last year and found yes, bisexual men exist! how quickly textbooks are out of date) and said bisexuality probably is a "transitional" phase, since SOME end up identifying as gay or lesbian later in life.

I hate the testing though, its all multiple choice and there were a lot of questions whose answers weren't all wrong, but it was hard to really pick out which one was the most right. I haven't taken a psych exam in years (the 2005-2006 academic year to be precise) and it was the only exam we had, so I felt really unprepared. If I passed, I don't think I did very well. But oh well, its just an elective >.> Hurts my GPA but if I go onto masters they only care about my Religious Studies grades.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote