View Single Post
Old 06-17-2012, 08:45 PM   #269
Valhalla

An update about my derby/active life (mostly because I know Fruit Bat will be excited).

Tonight was my last freshie practice, and my skills assessment is planned for the 1st of next month. I am 100% sure I'm going to fail my skills assessment this time around. Not to worry though. Four of the girls who are doing practice with me failed their skills assessment last time, so I don't feel bad.

I can do some things: All the falls, jumping, crossovers, one of the plow stops, I can whip. Not with a 100% success rate, but I can do them. But I can't T-stop, which is my main hurdle as of right now (cross overs used to be the scariest thing, but now I can always at least get one foot over the other). I can shoulder check no problem, but hip checks are hard for me. It might be because I'm really short/my legs are short, therefore I don't have much butt/hip reach.

The other problem I have is speed. We have to be able to do so many laps in 5 minutes (30 in the gym we use, it should be 35 but they're being nice to us). I was getting 21ish the week before last. My wheels that came with my skates were crap, but one of the girls gave me her old wheels and this week I got 26ish.

It's really weird to see myself actually progressing at something. Plus right now I'm in the best shape of my life. Which honestly isn't all that impressive of a shape, but I did go from couch potato to active. Even though it's only been 2 months my legs are rocks, and my butts getting all toned, which is nice.

What's not so nice is that my thighs are bigger. It is muscle, however it is discouraging that I've been getting in shape only to have my pants fit worse.

Besides finding a way to tone my thighs or something, I want to start working on my upper body. Why not go all the way and get arm muscles too?

Oh, and VERSUS, what happened to your training montage?
Valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote