View Single Post
Old 05-21-2012, 01:00 AM   #14
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
In my first year I had to read an ethnography about the birth rate in Italy, I can't remember what it was called, but anyway. In one of the chapters the anthropologist talks about how family size is viewed in Italy, for white Italians one or two kids is enough and there's a stigma to having more, and immigrants who are used to having traditional large families are viewed as promiscuous and moochy. There was a poster in the book of a black woman rising out of the sea, naked, obese and with child and the caption was something like "The New Face Of Italy".

What I'm trying to say is that yeah, racists will probably get more vocal about this, but tough shit for them. And its not uniquely an American thing.
Switzerland just had an election where one party openly campaigned on the idea of getting the blacks out of the country. In the recent Greek elections the Nazi party, yes the same Nazi party you are thinking of, got 7% of the vote. In the past French election a few weeks ago the National Front got like 15% of the vote, another Aryan white power group which also has members in America now.

It's not that other countries don't have racist bigots, it's that they are in such small numbers they have never and can never actually effect any changes. That however seems to be changing as the world takes many cues from America. As racism and bigotry become more open in America it signals to other people who might harbour racist views to be more open. It has a knock on effect worldwide. Americans are by no means the root cause, but the very public stance we are seeing by mainstream politicians and religious leaders is having a damning effect worldwide.

That accompanied by the fact American politicians who do engage in such rhetoric always try and mask it with some legitimate reason. Ban Mexicans because they take up important space in over crowded hospitals and fill up our public schools! Ban gays because gay men can't serve in the military as they would be reluctant to shoot handsome enemies! The craziness goes on, but these ideas and themes come from conservative think tanks who go out of their way to try and justify their racism, bigoted views and even though they cannot truly be justified they are of course taken in by the racists in other countries who regurgitate the same tripe worldwide.

The fact women, blacks, and gays are once again having to fight for the rights they had already achieved decades ago, again, in America says a lot.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote