View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013, 02:24 AM   #4115
Miss Absynthe

Giles is allowed to decide the way that he'd rather be thought of.

And, I wonder if his statement is to address the idea that the only reason he got the position was because he's Indigenous..

But, just the fact that this is something he has to even think about shows that racism *is* a thing.. how often would you hear the other side of it said:
"Look I know there's been a lot of talk in the media about my heritage, but I want people to look at me for what I've achieved, not because I'm a white person who has made it to this position."

The thing about privilege is that those who have it don't *have* to ever think about it, where as those without it are constantly reminded of other people's privilege and their own marginalisation. You will never hear the following, because these people will never be in the position where they have to explain their rise to status.. the default idea of power in our society is white, straight, able-bodied/minded, cis-gendered men:

"Look I know there's been a lot of talk in the media about my gender, but I want people to look at me for what I've achieved, not because I'm a man who has made it to this position."

"Look I know there's been a lot of talk in the media about my sexuality, but I want people to look at me for what I've achieved, not because I'm an heterosexual person who has made it to this position."

"Look I know there's been a lot of talk in the media about my disability, but I want people to look at me for what I've achieved, not because I'm an able-bodied person who has made it to this position."
Miss Absynthe is offline   Reply With Quote