View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 01:57 AM   #22
Versus

Err. To put this in perspective, there is a big difference between your career in combat and your career in support. Sergeant, for example, is something most combat guys achieve in 3-5 years. It's closer to 5-9 years for support. 80% of the highest ranking soldiers are from combat careers. It's not that there is a bias, it's that combat careers have priority access to the best schools and training because they need it more. A cook doesn't need sniper school, or master gunner, or air assault, or ranger, or path finder, and a commander is fucking high if he ever sends one; he's less likely to succeed because of the necessary skill sets in training and he'll never use it because he's still a cook. Those schools are the hardest and when looking at two people for promotion, the one who has completed the hard will get it. So aside from this disparity in rank/career field, there is a huge disparity between gender and rank because of it. The army is 15% female, but only 7% of the highest ranking soldiers are female. They're understandably pissed off about it.

So yeah. The question is "Are women worth that risk?"
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote