View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 09:54 PM   #123
ape descendant

But... but look at all the science we brought. Its a veritable science picnic!!

I understand the thinking behind his stance, its the same sort of thinking that had me making similar assertions a few months ago.

Between some serious reading on the topic and an epiphany due to an awesome documentary about horror flicks (Nightmares in Red, White and Blue) there was this section on anti-heroes who wrought bloody vengeance or pushed their own unique morality on the world through violent slaughter. That shit isn't about mental illness, that shit is people feeling like it is their right to hurt others if they don't follow whatever warped code has been set for them.

Dragging people with MI into this debate only serves to set us all back as it isn't the main problem. All it does is re-enforce the stigma on an already marginalized group of people, and the problem only becomes more alarming when we have powerful organizations saying shit like this: (emphasis is mine)

Quote:
The NRA posed the question 'How many more copycats are waiting…A dozen more killers? A hundred? More? How can we possibly even guess how many, given our nation's refusal to create an active national database of the mentally ill?'
Here's the full article from NAMI if you'd like to read it. http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Sec...ntentID=148650

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote