Thread: Ethical Tourism
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2011, 02:02 PM   #1
Saya

Ethical Tourism

So, my sister really wants to go to Cuba next year and she wants to take me with her, and I'm not sure where in Cuba we'd be going but she insists its a really good deal and the more people in on it the cheaper it is.

I'm iffy because I'm not sure if I'd be able to afford it, but also I feel uncomfortable with the idea of being on a resort, and I'm not sure if such tourism helps local economies or if it exploits them. But I also don't know much about Cuba, if thats a worry (I don't want to be Condescending White Person who assumes all Cubans are living in poverty), if the tourism industry there is exploitative, or if there are certain places to stay that are better than others in terms of benefiting local economy. I'm trying to do my own research right now, but maybe my search terms are sucky or something because not much is coming up specifically for Cuba.

So! I was wondering if anyone had anything they could share about Cuba, travelling without being a privileged asshole, or opinions in general. I have a lot of time to decide.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote