View Single Post
Old 08-04-2010, 09:52 AM   #93
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
Really? You feel a topic like this is THAT uninteresting?

Well, I disagree. As an African American Goth, it would have been VERY interesting for me to learn more about how others who do not happen to be ethnic minorities might view the issues raised by this thread.
The only issue raised by this thread is that the OP does not believe there are black Goths because he's never seen one. It was an ignorant post by a smart person, and was fairly criticized. That criticism was demonstrated to be just when you and others proved the supposition wrong and showed how easy it was to prove wrong.

In fact, I would be keenly surprised to learn that any ethnic or racial group isn't represented somewhere in the Gothic community.

Then the OP said:

Quote:
I've read some stories and about them and how non black goths are racist towards them. I would just like some opinons on how you would approach one. And how would there own race see them.
And I don't see this being a unique or interesting topic either. Remove the word "goths" and it because the standard discussion of racial tolerance. I don't think there's anything germane or unique about being Goth that alters the topic in any significant way.

So what is the interesting "issue" raised by this thread? I don't see one.

Quote:
Yes, I've noticed that over the years. It is quite common to see a poster attacked for the way they word something, more so than it is to see people to discussing the actual topic of the post in question. I was hoping for something a little different this time around.

Oh well.
You have misconstrued my statement terribly. If I see someone of lesser intelligence post something dumb, I usually let it slide. But when I see someone of above average intelligence (as I actually believe the OP to be) post something as mind-numbingly stupid as the post that started this thread, I call them on it. I did not pick on the person because of grammar, spelling or "the way he worded it", but for the over lack of thoughtfulness inherent in that initial statement.

And you should be a little more discriminating about such posts as well.

Quote:
Again I disagree...mostly. Thoughtful discussion is why I dropped in to post my opinion. I would welcome anyone else's opinions on the subject of this thread. Personally, I could do without the personal attacks against the person unfortunate enough to have started this "discussion".

- Heretic
Please, pray tell, what meaningful or thoughtful discussion would you like to see develop here, because I haven't seen one yet. If you come up with one, I will probably suggest that it would have made a better thread than this topic.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote