Thread: Rant Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2008, 11:49 AM   #6012
Tam Li Hua

NightmareInShiningArmour:

I think part of the reason your dad is upset is because he's scared for you. I mean, there are a LOT of misconceptions about the Goth world among the Norms, especially with the Columbine idiots from a few years back.

Have you ever sat him down and talked to him about it reasonably? That would probably be the best course of action. If you act like an adult, and come to him calmly...and dressed somewhat more normally [you can still wear black and all, but it's probably best not to wear the make-up, every single piercing, and the nail polish while talking to him] and have a talk with him about it, he'd probably be more receptive. Ask him why he doesn't like the Goth culture, and correct any misconceptions he may have. Tell him that you aren't going to give your soul to Satan, and that it's just a fashion and a music trend; let him know that you are still the same person, even if you dress 'weird'. Perhaps even share some of your music with him [though I would suggest stuff that's not screaming, and has a more mellow, if albeit dark, tone, like The Sisters of Mercy or something.]

As long as you come at him with a fight, he's going to think you're just being a typical, rebellious teenager. But if you come to him with honesty, love, and patience, you will gain his respect and understanding, if he is a reasonable person at all.

Feel free to also suggest to him the book What is Goth?. You can find it for pretty cheap on Amazon. It's a small, thin book by Voltaire that explains the Goth lifestyle in a very simple and humorous, non-threatening way. [Heck, if you want, I'll buy him a copy and send it your way!]

Hope some of this helps! ^_^